Chemist / Material Scientist - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have openings for a Chemist / Material Scientist to conduct a full range of moderate to complex research in the areas of material aging, compatibility studies and materials characterization. In this role, you be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in LLNL mission related areas. This position is in the Reaction Dynamics group within the Energetic Materials & Design (EMD) section of the Materials Science Division, supporting the Energetic Materials Center (EMC).
- Conduct moderately complex to complex directed research and contribute to the development of diagnostics for material aging, compatibility and performance assessments of explosives and explosive containing components.
- Collaborate with other team members in the design, implementation, and qualification of cutting-edge research and system development.
- Contribute to project/program milestone completion and provide solutions to problems of limited complexity using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Work with energetic materials and obtain LLNL certification to handle explosives.
- Present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge in one or more of the following: engineering hardware design, chemical analysis, spectroscopic techniques, material testing methods.
- Ability to obtain certification as an explosives handler (LLNL training).
- Ability to perform independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Ability to work in a collaborative research and development environment.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting experimental data.
- Proficient verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills necessary to work with experimental teams which may include members from all disciplines and working effectively under conflicting and rigorous deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with material aging and compatibility.
- Familiarity with programming in Java, Python or Matlab.
- A history of creating reports and presenting results.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.