Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $132,612.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a System Engineer to support Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) W80-4 Life Extension and W87-1 Modification, and W87-0 Programs within the Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I) group. Your primary focus will be to provide support for a set of high-level technical Systems Engineering activities, working with a group of systems engineering professionals, to provide project integration and management of requirements, mapping of designs, functions, failure mechanisms, risks, assessments, and verifications to requirements. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Support SE&I group in project systems engineering, development, execution, expertise, and systems analytic methods that support product qualification and system certification.
- Define, track, and complete work objectives on time and within budget in collaboration with group and LEP/MOD personnel. Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Lead component specific technical requirements development including but not limited to performance requirements identification, interface requirements management, and traceability to verification activities.
- Promote the systems engineering discipline and participate in hiring activities to support WTE and WCI programs.
- Responsible for ensuring that program risks and requirements are communicated in an effective and timely manner to leadership.
- Perform WTE and WCI special assignments and represent the Programs and DTED at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Influence technical decisions made by management, based on SE&I activities.
- Mentor team members in common SE&I practices and activities.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of systems engineering practices for requirements, designs, functions, failure mechanisms, risks, assessments, and verifications.
- Fundamental knowledge of systems engineering tools and techniques, product realization processes, project work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing budgets, and project controls reporting.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities.
- Effective communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, and advise management and/or external sponsors.
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience with systems engineering practices for requirements, designs, functions, failure mechanisms, risks, assessments, and verifications.
- Experience with systems engineering tools and techniques, product realization processes, project work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing budgets, and project controls reporting.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, and advise management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Engineering or related field.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
- Subject matter knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, assessments, and design.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.