Computing Academic Graduate Appointee
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: 710.0 Academic Graduate Appointee Ex
Position Type: Academic Graduate Appointee
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Rate set by hiring organization.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Academic Graduate Appointees that will support computing senior staff. There are a variety of roles in (but not limited to) desktop support, IT operations and HPC programmatic efforts. These positions will be filled based on the strategic needs of the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in assigned area under general direction and supervision.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Collaborate with other internal and external research groups at LLNL and in some cases at other institutions.
- Present work through presentations.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, working to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Experience with languages such as Python, Java, and C++.
- Experience with OS such as Linux.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Ability to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personal and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a one-year Academic Graduate Appointee, open to those who have been awarded a degree at the time of the employment offer.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now