Craft and Skilled Trades | livermore, CA | 05/10/2023
Job Code: 414.2 Gardener II / 414.3 Gardener III
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$30.08 - $36.51 Hourly for the 414.2 level
$34.63 - $42.05 Hourly for the 414.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Gardener II/III to perform intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance and installation duties of a skilled gardener. This position is in the Facilities Services Division of the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department. This position may require work at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Perform site-wide landscaping and grounds maintenance; mowing, edging, trimming; pruning trees, shrubs, and plants, and installing and maintaining landscaping surfaces.
- Troubleshoot and repair sprinkler/automatic irrigation systems; install new landscape.
- Assist weed and pest control operator by applying herbicide/pesticide, perform high tree pruning, tree removal, stump grinding and pathway sweeping.
- Operate standard equipment and tools used in gardener tasks such as power hand tools, wood-chippers, aerial platform trucks, tractors, trenching equipment, motor vehicles, and other equipment common in the landscape trade.
- Prepare standard reports and additional reports for permits, vehicle inspections, and deficiency forms.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with Environmental, Safety, and Health regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 414.3 level
- Operate specialized equipment including pest control sprayers, watering equipment including fumigators, hand tanks, and 300-gallon tanks.
- Maintain gardening equipment, including sharpening, and changing blades, as necessary.
- Prepare reports for equipment inspections and pest control; record daily pesticides used; and provide input on Pest Control Trainee Record Book.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and work experience in landscape maintenance.
- Experience performing a variety of intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance duties; mowing, trimming, and pruning of shrubs and trees.
- Experience troubleshooting, repairing automatic and irrigation systems.
- Experience performing specialized tasks, i.e., high-tree pruning, tree removal, and/or stump grinding.
- Ability to use chemicals and fertilizers common to the trade and to spot spray weeds in the landscape.
- Experience operating standard equipment and tools for gardener tasks such as wood chippers, aerial platform equipment, tractors, trenching equipment, and motor vehicles.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member interacting well with others. Basic computer skills necessary to input timekeeping and complete web-based training and standard reports.
- Valid California driver’s license required.
Additional qualifications at the 414.3 level
- Knowledge of and experience with pesticides and fertilizers common to the landscape trade and experience with recordkeeping logs.
- Experience with spray equipment including up to 160-gallon truck tank for weed abatement and certification by the State of California to apply pesticides.
- Experience in making joint decisions and solving problems with co-workers.
- Experience preparing reports.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing, or installing automatic and central irrigation systems.
- Knowledge of permitting requirements for work above and below ground.
- Experience with high tree removal greater than 15 ft.
- Experience in making independent decisions, solving problems, and providing safety training.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For onsite interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.