Cyber Security Engineer - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/10/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance) with Sensitive Compartmented Information access
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $132,612.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Cyber Security Engineer to provide cyber and technical support for unclassified and classified networks, standalone systems, security systems, user accounts and access, and implementation of security controls. You will manage complex security plans and component configurations, complete self-assessments and computer security projects. You will interact regularly with team members, customers, management, and sponsors to solve a variety of complex cyber problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the Field Intelligence Element (FIE) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Serve in the Information Systems Security Owner (ISSO) role as the author and owner of comprehensive cyber security document packages.
- Plan, design, and evaluate complex cybersecurity solutions.
- Perform computer security tasks such as vulnerability remediation, audit of computer logs, and creation of documentation on policies, procedures, test plans, and risk analyses.
- Inspect information systems to verify compliance and work closely with system administrators to maintain security and accreditation status.
- Manage unclassified and classified account authorization processes and perform approvals.
- Collaborate with customers in the design of their computing environment and security management processes.
- Research solutions and manage cyber-security related projects with a diverse scope over multiple environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Develop scripts to automate security tasks within multiple environments.
- Provide technical assistance to the user community.
- Manage cyber-security related projects.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer and Network Security, Engineering, Business, Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge and experience editing and testing system security plans.
- Experience with cyber-related tools for auditing, compliance verification, vulnerability testing, and continuous system monitoring.
- Experience setting priorities and solving complex problems in a fast-paced, customer-focused team environment.
- Experience with computer security practices and procedures.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Experience with approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity, and to change focus when necessary.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment and document, present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience developing and presenting cyber or IT solutions to a senior management team.
- Experience leading cyber or IT projects.
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Professional computer certification (e.g., CISSP, SANS Certification, Security+).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret Clearance.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For onsite interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.