Electrical Engineer - NIF Diagnostic Systems (mid-career/senior level)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/10/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410.00 - $229,116.00 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for mid-career to senior level Electrical Engineers or Technical Project Engineers. This is an exciting opportunity to make an impact on large-scale physics experiments. You will provide engineering solutions for developing, implementing, and maintaining diagnostic systems hardware for the National Ignition Facility, the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. You will be responsible for the maintenance and upgrades to fielded diagnostic systems and their support infrastructure, integration of these diagnostic systems into the facility, technical project management, and ensuring these diagnostic systems meet all the relevant facility performance and reliability requirements. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide advanced engineering design and technical support for new diagnostic systems or upgrades.
- Provide engineering support for routine operations of diagnostic positioner, detector systems, or other large scale diagnostic systems deployed on NIF.
- Work closely with inter-organizational contacts and external customers to define requirements for diagnostics and positioners. Participate in formal and informal design reviews. Present design materials to inter-organization and external audiences.
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews. Present design materials to inter-organization and external audiences.
- Manage the system requirement specifications used for electrical/control system design.
- Contribute to daily activities in NIF by providing engineering support for deployment, activation, commissioning, troubleshooting and maintenance of positioner and diagnostic systems.
- Provide guidance for complex system repairs, upgrades, and commissioning for current and future systems.
- Collaborate with project managers and customers to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Develop documentation with minimal direction that will be used as a basis for the long-term maintenance and operation of diagnostic systems.
- Perform systems engineering analysis to determine requirements and plan electrical component and system level tests of positioners and diagnostic instruments.
- Work independently to determine, maintain, and present metrics for system reliability and performance.
- Use those metrics to propose investments for system improvements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead team of professional colleagues in development of new diagnostic systems or upgrades.
- Lead and manage the formal design review process to identify and mitigate engineering risks.
- Develop recommendations for process improvements and justify implementation of the proposed improvements to senior management.
- Provide oversight and management of project costs and budgets.
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and serve as an organization spokesperson.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline related to electronics or electrical engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and application of industrial communication cabling including coaxial, twisted pair, and fiber optics.
- Significant experience developing industrial analog and digital circuit design for incorporation into controls/instrumentation hardware. Experience incorporating embedded hardware into systems in a high EMI environment.
- Advanced understanding of documentation standards including complex drawings, procedures, statements of work and test plans.
- Significant knowledge of both analog and discrete instrumentation (sensors, actuators, controllers), data acquisition and signal processing/conditioning including fiber optic cable communications.
- Experience with electronic and optical measurement equipment including oscilloscopes, time-domain reflectometers, optical power meters, spectrum analyzers, and digital multi-meters.
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team, which includes working with scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to present and explain technical information including providing advice to management.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Substantial experience in the design of highly complex industrial systems and diagnostic recording systems.
- Substantial experience leading teams, coordinating efforts across disciplines, and ensuring compatibility with interdependent systems.
- Substantial project management and supervisory experience.
- Subject matter expertise defining scope from frequently not well defined and/or rapidly changing requirements that require analysis of intangible factors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with system level design, architecting and project management.
- Significant experience using and expanding MATLAB, Python, SPICE, or LabVIEW, scripts/routines for analysis, parameter optimization and/or lab automation.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with scientific detector, vacuum, and high voltage (>1000V) pulsed systems including identifying and leading opportunities for enhancements as appropriate.
- Significant experience with complex technical project management including the use of Gannt charts and/or systems engineering
- Significant experience in the application of systems engineering principals to complex interdisciplinary projects
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For onsite interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.