Senior Database Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/09/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $190,932 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for two Senior Database Administrators. You will support the database administration activities required to manage the database infrastructure that underpin multiple program applications. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division within the Computing Directorate, supporting the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) and NNSA programs.
Business needs dictate that this position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week. Therefore, telecommuting options will be limited.
This position will be filled at the SES.3 level based upon knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development and deployment of a DBaaS service within a newly created private cloud infrastructure to ensure security standards are maintained while providing a highly automated and orchestrated process for database creation through to operational and lifecycle management.
- Support our internal transition towards data virtualization by leveraging the Denodo data virtualization toolset to help decouple applications from data layer integrations in and across the environment.
- Provide database administration support to our current suite of Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Mongo, Casandra, PostgreSQL, and DynamoDB databases.
- Provide technical, in-depth analysis on overall database management system designs and architectures and provide guidance and expertise in supporting our database services migration to leveraging cloud-based database PaaS services, containerization, and migration from existing Oracle database technology into other competing database technologies.
- Support development staff by creating and maintaining current, non-production database environments to support development and quality assurance activities, while also encouraging proper utilization of database features to better meet application and business process needs and helping to tune and rewrite query logic to access underlying data structures more efficiently.
- Review and help optimize database data models within and across the various databases we support and help maintain/enhance our database cyber security posture.
- Support enterprise COTs application implementation, configuration, triage, and customization efforts, and resolve issues introduced by our infrastructure patching and security efforts.
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of database access through account management, object authorization, authentication mechanisms, data encryption, and protocol encryption.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management Information Systems, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant prior experience in leveraging automation and orchestration to build, provision, patch, and/or secure database services within a production environment.
- Significant prior experience in leveraging data virtualization, ETL, web services, or data warehousing and reporting products to help decouple hard database data integration dependencies.
- Multi-year, applied experience in administering Oracle and MS SQL Server databases in a production environment and significant experience with one or more development tools and languages, such as SQL, Oracle Forms/Reports, PL/SQL, Java, Python, Oracle ADF, JDeveloper, and/or Visual Basic.
- Applied experience in UNIX and Windows operating system administration, security, performance tuning, enterprise-class storage array usage and integration within a database environment, and database backup and recovery procedures, software, strategies, and verification methodologies.
- Significant experience leveraging infrastructure monitoring and administration tools, such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Management Studio, SCOM and/or Icinga, to monitor and conduct alert escalation and database administration.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours to provide support for production infrastructure patching, upgrades, testing, and the ability to work on-premises to support job duties.
Qualifications We Desire
- MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Management Information Systems and significant experience integrating and managing application authentication/authorization and identity management technologies with database and application infrastructures.
- Experience in the development and utilization of Ansible, SCCM, Python, and Unix/PowerShell Shell scripting for automation and orchestration of database and application infrastructures.
- Experience leveraging containerization to deliver database and mid-tier services to meet customer needs, and with managing database and application infrastructures within a highly secure and compliance-driven environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.