Machine Tool Repairer - Electrician
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: 983.2 Machine Repairer II / 983.3 Machine Repairer III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 983.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 983.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Machine Tool Repair Electricians. Under close supervision, you will be responsible for installing, testing, repairing, maintaining, or modifying basic to moderately complex electronic/ electrical systems on machine tools and related equipment in support of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) programs. These positions require close interactions with technical and supervisory personnel throughout the Laboratory. You may receive work assignments located at various locations, including Livermore and Tracy (Site 300). You may be required to work in areas with radioactive, toxic, or high explosives materials. These positions will report to the Machine Tool Services Group Supervisor in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Design, fabricate, install, maintain, or modify electrical systems to improve the operation, reliability, and/or safety of LLNL’s machine tools.
- Lay out and install electrical devices, power distribution equipment, and wiring systems in accordance with national, local, and LLNL safety codes and practices.
- Use hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrician trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, Voltmeters, Insulation testers, line analyzers, logic analyzers.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Solve moderately complex technical problems and make limited decisions.
- Utilize intermediate to advanced electrical skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 983.3 level:
- Solve complex to highly complex technical problems and make decisions of high consequence.
- Utilize advanced electrical skills.
- Understand and calculate Fault current and Arc flash.
- Lead responsibilities for small groups of technical employees on projects involving multiple electrical workers or other crafts.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent, and completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrician trade; with a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical diagrams, schematics, panel schedules and drawings.
- Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess basic level of experience using hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrical trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, oscilloscopes, recorders, line analyzers, logic analyzers, as well as diagnostic software on PC and CNC based platforms.
- Knowledge of applicable electrical codes (such as the National Electrical Code NFPA-70, NFPA 70E, NFPA70B and the Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery NFPA-79), OSHA, and ES&H regulations.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license with the ability to operate common motor vehicles including a 6000 lb. fork truck.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment and have knowledge of applicable OSHA & ES&H regulations.
Additional Qualifications, at the 983.3 level:
- Advanced knowledge of applicable codes, OSHA and ES&H regulations.
- Advanced level skills knowledge, and abilities in machine repair and related electrical systems; including procedures, standards, and techniques for evaluating, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining complex conventional and CNC machine tools.
- Advanced level of experience using hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrical trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, oscilloscopes, recorders, line analyzers, logic analyzers, as well as diagnostic software on PC and CNC based platforms.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now