Senior Defense Systems Engineer - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Senior Defense Systems Engineers. You will participate in the nuclear weapon Life Extension Programs (LEPs). We provide nuclear weapon engineering design expertise; systems engineering; experimental device design; fabrication and assembly; surveillance of nuclear stockpile components; engineering analysis and computational simulation; and engineering testing for evaluation and maintenance of the enduring and future nuclear weapon stockpile. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical expertise in mechanical design and/or systems engineering.
- Develop and produce advanced conceptual and detail designs that meet technical requirements.
- Provide customers with engineering solutions for a wide range of engineering challenges associated with execution of ongoing programmatic activities including the generation of planning documents, reports, and presentations as required to support customer deliverables.
- Manage project interfaces and deployment interfacing with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Serve on cross-cutting technical teams or project teams in support of the stockpile stewardship mission of the Laboratory.
- Lead and/or provide guidance and technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams in a growing, dynamic environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Provide expert capability in highly complex mechanical design and analysis.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical design.
- Significant experience in prototype development and testing, as well as hardware design and analysis.
- Ability to devise solutions for unique and complex problems.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant experience managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and on schedule.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Subject matter expertise in highly complex mechanical design and analysis and significant experience in project planning and providing technical leadership.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and strong track record of team building and conflict resolution.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.