Polymer R&D - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Polymer R&D Scientist to conduct research in the following areas: I) research and development of new/modified engineering elastomers and elastomer resins, including materials for production by additive manufacturing (AM); II) research into the influence of age, environment, and manufacturing process conditions on the chemical structure and physical properties of engineering polymer materials. This position is in the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the research and development of new and/or modified applied polymer materials with a focus on rubbery elastomers, including development of candidate feedstocks for additive manufacturing of engineering elastomers. Example additive manufacturing methods to be supported may include direct-ink-write, fused-deposition modeling, selective laser sintering, or stereolithography.
- Characterize the chemical changes and degradations to engineering polymer materials, especially silicones, resulting from age, environment, and manufacturing process conditions.
- Collaborate on accelerated aging and lifetime prediction studies of engineering polymer materials.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact for polymer material formulation, synthesis and processing for engineering applications.
- Conceive, design, and execute research to address defined problems and applications.
- Develop and present written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish program goals.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at open conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Independently develop or lead development of new materials and/or feedstocks for additive manufacturing of engineering polymer materials.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the synthesis, processing, and characterization of polymers for engineering applications.
- Serve as point of contact for accelerated aging and lifetime prediction studies of engineering polymer materials.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the synthesis of polymer resins, in particular elastomer and thermoplastic elastomer resins, for engineering applications (e.g. silicones, nitriles, TPU).
- Advanced knowledge of polymer resin characterization, including chemical composition and molecular weight distribution analysis.
- Experience with mechanical (and/or rheological) and structural characterization of both resin and polymer material properties, using, for example, techniques such as DMA, rotational rheometry, swelling, thermal analysis, and/or load frame testing.
- Proven ability as a creative experimentalist, and a diverse range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Authorship of peer-reviewed literature demonstrating the capacity to independently develop and execute original research.
- Advanced verbal and written communication as reflected by effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- The willingness and ability to self-direct and work independently, and to collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as required to reach research goals.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of polymer characterization, including, for example, monomer sequence distribution analysis in copolymers, or analysis of measured mechanical/rheological properties and their relationship to structure.
- Subject matter expertise in the processing and/or rheology of filled (reinforced) polymer materials for engineering/industrial applications.
- Consultative direction of scientific personnel and complex projects.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with polymer material additive manufacturing (AM), including synthesis of AM feedstock materials and/or actual AM fabrication processes.
- Experience with commercial gumstock and composite preparation processes such as roll mixing, intensive shear mixing, and/or extrusion.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.