Intelligence Analyst: Z Program
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Intelligence Analyst to join an interdisciplinary team conducting analysis of space, cyber, and other advanced, emerging, and/or disruptive technology issues, and their implications for the national security interests of the United States. You will perform analysis and lead projects that integrate complex information from all sources into finished assessments and make formal verbal and written presentations, interface with Program sponsors and Intelligence Community (IC) stakeholders and contribute to project and organizational goals. This position is in the Science and Technology Assessments (STA) Program within Global Security Principal Directorate’s Z Program.
In this role, you will
- Conduct independent research on sensitive, politically significant national security topics, with a focus on space, cyber, and other advanced, emerging, and/or disruptive technology issues. Maintain awareness of relevant current events and information in assigned areas.
- Assist in identifying analytic priorities, defining problems, and proposing moderately complex to complex analytic research methodologies with limited direction.
- Write reports and present analytic findings in support of sponsor and stakeholder objectives that adhere to intelligence community analytic standards.
- Contribute to the development of a focused national security research program in assigned areas that addresses key science and technology and policy questions, using independent judgment.
- Contribute to the development of new program opportunities, including the definition and development of research proposals and interaction with potential sponsors and customers under limited direction.
- Contribute to intelligence-related organizational objectives by providing input on technical issues for presenting in-depth analysis to sponsors and consumers, traveling as necessary.
- Obtain and maintain required security in a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) environment for information that is under the analyst’s direct control.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 Level
- Represent the organization as the primary technical contact on multiple intelligence related tasks and large projects, working effectively with conflicting priorities.
- Lead multidisciplinary teams assigned complex analytic tasks and contribute advanced subject matter knowledge on national security issues to inform the development of strategies and plans to meet programmatic objectives.
- Independently develop proposals for analytic papers, studies, and research topics and create innovative technical tools and evaluate competing characteristics to determine solutions that meet stakeholder objectives; provide decision insight to customers and stakeholders in highly complex problem areas.
- Participate in programmatic sustainment and growth by identifying and addressing complex sponsor needs and prioritizing collaborations with LLNL staff and across the community.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, relevant scientific or engineering discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience working within or with the Intelligence Community (IC) and with scientific and technological issues associated with national security, to include space, cyber, and other advanced, emerging, and/or disruptive technology issues.
- Significant experience working with multidisciplinary teams in achieving project objectives; demonstrated strength in partnering with outside organizations successfully.
- Significant experience researching, assessing, and integrating Science and Technology (S&T) knowledge, in collaboration with technical subject matter experts, in support of national security issues.
- Significant experience conducting research and analytical assessments, writing detailed papers and other products that effectively convey analytical results with limited supervision.
- Significant experience working effectively under deadlines, coordinating workloads on multiple projects simultaneously, and meeting deadlines with conflicting priorities.
- Experience working across organizational work units, with demonstrated effective teamwork, and customer service skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment; author intelligence analyses; and present and explain technical information to external sponsors and customers.
- Experience and ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in an applicable discipline in a creative and innovative fashion.
- Ability to travel as necessary to present analyses to sponsors and IC stakeholders as well as to meet with IC counterparts and sponsors.
Additional job qualifications, at the SES.4 Level
- Ph.D. in political science, international relations, relevant scientific or engineering discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, and the demonstrated ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in a creative and innovative fashion.
- Proven success leading multi-disciplinary teams and delivering expert-level, high-quality, impactful technical assessments on issues affecting national security.
- Recognized by stakeholders and partners as a subject matter expert on relevant national security related technical topics.
- Proven record of success in independently developing proposals, and establishing and securing partnerships, for multidisciplinary analytic studies on issues affecting national security; contributing to programmatic sustainment and growth by identifying and addressing complex sponsor needs in these areas; and creating innovative technical tools and/or technically informed research products to meet stakeholder and research objectives.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated publication record in a relevant national security issue area.
- Significant experience successfully managing and leading multidisciplinary project teams with expert verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate with internal and external teams, and to advise and influence senior management and external sponsors.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now