Software Engineer - CASTLE
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Software Engineer to support the Collaborative Authorization for the Safety-basis Total Lifecycle Environment (CASTLE-PX) Project. CASTLE-PX is Risk Level 2 Safety Software, requiring a high-level of rigor to maintain SQA compliance. It is a web-based, custom java application deployed at Pantex and is being used to manage the safety-bases for weapon systems, site facilities, as well as several processes. Working with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of software developers, software quality engineers, and IT staff, your primary responsibilities will be to contribute to the application development, perform production support, test new releases, and help maintain the large volume of SQA support documents. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computation Directorate, in support of the CASTLE Project within the Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) Program.
This position will be filled at either level level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain a web-based software system using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of the software system.
- Collaborate with a small, multi-disciplinary team and use independent judgement to rapidly respond to operational requirements.
- Participate in application development and code reviews.
- Develop and maintain SQA documentation, which is reviewed and updated as needed with each new production release.
- Provide advanced technical knowledge in the use of version control systems (Git) and branch management.
- Ensure application compatibility and support complex application interactions in partnership with other software development teams.
- Provides solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 Level
- Collaborate with a large cross-site, multi-disciplinary team of managers, engineers, and developers to determine the current and future focus of the project.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders regarding status, needs, progress, and plans.
- Provide leadership and support to the application team, engaging in continuous improvement of end-to-end processes.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- ·Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience in a security discipline(s).
- Advanced knowledge and experience implementing server-side web applications using JSF or similar framework.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Oracle databases including SQL scripts.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with web services.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Advanced level experience using software configuration management tools (preferably the Atlassian Suite of JIRA, Confluence, & Bitbucket) with an emphasized focus in the use of issue tracking.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel, collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment, and assist in the maintenance of SQA documentation.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Significant experience with Oracle databases including writing complex SQL scripts.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel, collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment, and lead a small team of software developers.
Qualifications We Desire
- Exceptional relationship building, collaboration and communication skills with a proven ability to interpret customer requests to develop system requirements.
- Expert knowledge of web services and XML data formats.
- Experience developing web application user-interfaces / user-experiences and best practices.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now