Particle and Relativistic Heavy-Ion Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researcher positions to conduct research in particle and heavy-ion physics within the Particle Physics Group. The group participates in the ATLAS and sPHENIX experiments, the Jetscape collaboration, and the forthcoming EIC. Its interests span both high-energy and relativistic heavy-ion physics and applicants with a background in either field are encouraged to apply. Physics topics include, but are not limited to: jet physics, ultra-peripheral heavy-ion collisions, and heavy-flavor physics including quarkonium and exotic hadronic states. The group is also involved in developing improvements to data reconstruction that utilize machine learning methods and/or exploit hardware acceleration features available in high-performance computing resources. Candidates will work with their group mentors to develop a program of research based on their individual interests and commensurate with these activities. This position is in the Particle Physics Group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Develop your own research program in high energy particle and nuclear physics
- Formulate research proposals for external and internal sponsors
- Contribute to the operation and data taking with ATLAS and/or sPHENIX
- Contribute to the development of new experimental capabilities for ATLAS and/or sPHENIX
- Perform physics analysis of ATLAS and/or sPHENIX data
- Contribute to the group’s long-term strategy for physics activities including its involvement with the EIC
- Interact with the data scientists at the Laboratory to further the application of AI and ML techniques to nuclear and particle physics
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results and external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics or related field
- Expertise in particle and/or relativistic heavy-ion physics including familiarity of major physical phenomena and fluency in modern experimental techniques
- Experience with complex data analysis and high-performance computing
- Experience with the operation and data taking of collider experiments
- Advanced programming experience in C++ and analysis using ROOT
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in particle or heavy-ion physics
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.