Product Realization Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: TSS.1 Technical Services & Ops MTS 1 / TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$94,770 - $127,704 Annually for the TSS.1 level
$113,730 - $153,264 Annually for the TSS.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Product Realization Engineers. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for designing and releasing product definition (drawings and specifications) of weapon components to production agencies, supporting resolution of producibility and manufacturability issues, and developing/executing engineering evaluations of production processes at the production facilities. You will be assigned to one or more Product Realization Teams (PRTs) supporting nuclear weapon modernization programs or enduring legacy systems. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Manage, update, and release PRT documentation including project plans, qualification plans, design requirement documentations, and interface definitions.
- Support development of evidence packages for technical design and programmatic phase gate reviews with the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and the Production Agencies (PAs).
- Execute, maintain, and track PRT schedules, milestones, and action items. Regularly communicate project progress and status to management.
- Support realization of production processes at PAs as required: requirements, capability development, engineering evaluation, and qualification.
- Prepare Statements of Work (SOW) and coordinate purchase orders with PAs and work with PAs to ensure work is executed.
- Review drawings for technical content and design intent and prepare and release engineering specifications and drawings in coordination with PRT stakeholders.
- Review and support producibility and manufacturability issues.
- Conduct engineering testing and data analysis and ensure that data is appropriately documented and archived.
- Participate in and record meeting notes/minutes of formal and informal design reviews, multi-site PRT meetings, and program reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.2 level
- Collaborate with PRT leads and technical team in support of monthly earned value reporting requirements and prepare detailed planning for each fiscal year.
- Develop surveillance plans for components in development and work with PAs to standup required capabilities.
- Manage and coordinate execution of engineering testing and data analysis and prepare technical reports, documentation, and presentations.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or engineering technology (Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing, Industrial, Chemical), or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with requirements development and engineering drawings including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of engineering testing process and ability to conduct data analyses.
- Ability to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate with LLNL weapons program staff, nuclear security enterprise sites, and federal management staff.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of hardware design and fabrication methods.
- Working knowledge of and experience with systems engineering, design for manufacturing, and quality engineering.
- Experience with preparing and conducting design/project reviews and the subsequent documenting, tracking, and reporting of action items.
- Experience managing (organize, direct, and monitor schedule and budgets) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with product development processes including requirements management, design prototyping, product testing, business planning, pilot production, and manufacturing.
- Experience in manufacturing or setting up manufacturing processes at a production facility.
- Working knowledge of quality engineering and/or quality assurance and control.
- Experience in definition/specification releases, configuration management, and Product Lifecycle Management systems.
- Experience working in the NNSA’s nuclear weapons program.
- Working knowledge of NNSA’s Defense Programs Business Process Systems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.