Facilities Mechanical Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$113,730 - $153,264 Annually for the TSS.2 level
$136,500 - $183,888 Annually for the TSS.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for experienced Facilities Mechanical Engineers to support the Facility and Infrastructure Systems team in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF provides the scientific community with an unprecedented capability for studying materials at extreme pressures, temperatures, and densities and it is supported by a variety of support facilities. You will provide technical contributions for the mechanical and facility systems in NIF and supporting facilities, including opportunities to work on the entire lifecycle of facility systems including requirements development, design, maintenance, and operations. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Act as the main point of contact for specific system management projects for the maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of facility and utility systems which include argon, nitrogen, vacuum, water systems, ventilation systems, and others.
- Under limited direction, contribute to or provide guidance and informal mentoring on moderately complex to complex facility design and installation efforts for new facility systems from the conceptual phase through construction oversight, including support of informal and formal design reviews.
- Review and update drawings for completeness and accuracy using design and CAD tools as well as configuration management system.
- Interact with multi-discipline internal team of mechanical, electrical, architectural, and structural disciplines for design and construction.
- Perform mechanical calculations, thermal balancing assessments, and control system optimization for facility and process utility systems.
- Contribute to and act as main point of contact for projects and recommend solutions to a diverse range of issues, working collaboratively with internal customers, external consultants, and contractors.
- Utilize broadly defined engineering concepts, practices, applicable Department of Energy (DOE) orders, building codes, and procedures including development of drawings, visualizations, and presentations.
- Informally mentor and train technicians in performing field inspections, measurements, and calculations.
- Apply sound technical judgment for troubleshooting and responding to facility and utility system issues which have 24/7 operational conditions.
- Perform other duties as assigned and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Independently develop and implement system reliability enhancements and processes.
- Independently develop complex mechanical designs and conduct informal and formal design reviews to determine objectives, methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Contribute to and lead the development and tracking of schedules and allocation of resources to ensure customer requirements are met within satisfaction of organizational objectives.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, or a related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with moderately complex to complex mechanical and facility system design, maintenance, and construction techniques and related engineering principles.
- Broad experience with procedures, work control, and configuration management.
- Applied knowledge and experience with relevant moderately complex to complex mechanical concepts, practices, codes, and procedures.
- Proficient knowledge and experience using modeling applications for design and maintenance.
- Broad experience with procedures and work control for design, maintenance, and operations.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment which includes working with engineers, technicians, and designers and recommending solutions to a diverse range of issues.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant knowledge and advanced expertise with complex mechanical and facility systems, including working knowledge of standards and applicable building codes.
- Applied experience leading system management for facility and utility systems.
Qualifications We Desire
- California certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) or equivalent certification in another state.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent certification.
- Experience using Computerized Management Maintenance System (CMMS) and Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM).
- Experience with NFPA, SMACNA, and other industrial facility codes.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.