Estimator - Senior
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: Q01.3 Project Controls Analyst 3 / Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370.00 - $135,192.00 Annually for the Q01.3 level
$125,160.00 - $162,120.00 Annually for the Q01.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Senior Estimating Specialist who will provide support to Laboratory projects and programs in the form of planning, design, estimating, and specifying materials required for job order work by shop crafts or on-site contractors. Your responsibilities will include defining activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic and interfaces between activities, and resource loading activities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
The Project Management Office (PMO) provides LLNL with engineering, design, estimating, construction, and project management services. PMO provides infrastructure services to enable cutting-edge research and development in the areas of defense technologies, global security, laser science, bioscience, and more. PMO offers cradle to grave infrastructure services to achieve reliable delivery of completed projects with priority on safety, collaboration, and a workforce working toward our shared vision.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to the development of complex cost estimating work processes, tools, and procedures, development and application of assembled unit rates to quantities, extensions for total cost estimates, and estimates created for staff resource hours using standard construction reference material, preferably based on Construction Specification Institute (CSI Masterformat).
- Establish format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost per level of confidence and identification of areas of risk; identify improvements needed to the risk/contingency review process, and develop and implement solutions.
- Prepare and develop contingency and escalation evaluation for estimates; assist in the development of value engineering suggestions, coherently explain the basis of estimate (BOE) to customers and management.
- Serve as subject matter expert on cost estimating activities; mentor, review, and advise others on the production and status of schedule network data and participate in developing and presenting training classes and on-the-job training for cost estimating processes and practices.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and scheduling tasks and earned value presentations; interact with a diverse workforce, apply constructability concepts to develop detailed cost estimate take-offs, and provide constant feedback to all project stakeholders.
- Reconcile estimated costs versus bid costs to develop more accurate estimates by understanding and tracking current market influences; ensure current information on rates, prices, and trends are fed back into the estimating system.
- Perform job site visits during preconstruction to evaluate existing conditions, and during construction to assure job is being performed as estimated, discuss problem areas as they develop, offer solutions, and support change order validation.
- Ensure business sensitive information such as official government estimates are properly distributed and managed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the Q01.4 level
- Responsible for the effective architecture of an estimating system and the development of scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by discipline or other specialty.
- Assist with the management and oversight of planning and implementation of estimating efforts.
- Regularly interface with senior management in the development of estimating initiatives and maintain liaison with functional management to coordinate workload and estimating staffing plans.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant functional discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience as a multi-discipline Construction Cost Estimator with either a general or specialty subcontractor.
- Complete understanding of technical processes, engineering standards, state and federal codes, engineering drawings (including reading prints, drawing sketches, reading specifications), analyzing data, generating records, and writing mathematical and financial reports.
- Complete knowledge of and experience using cost/estimating/scheduling computer applications to estimate jobs related to conceptual designs, preliminary design, and for delivering final cost estimate in advance of contract bidding.
- Knowledge of and experience developing cost estimates for man hours using standard construction reference material such as R.S. Means, Richardson, Sheet metal & Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA) and National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) guidelines.
- Experience estimating jobs for conceptual designs, preliminary designs, and developing final costs estimates in advance of contract bidding, for both Design build and Design Bid Build project deliveries.
- Experience using Microsoft Office and computer-based estimating, take off, scheduling and spreadsheet programs such as Sage Estimating, OST, and Bluebeam.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills to effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
In Addition at the Q01.4 Level
- Expert knowledge and understanding of all the components in the project controls estimating system and current industry and technical developments.
- Experience as a skilled specialist in establishing criteria for project controls estimating systems and activities.
- Experience in direction, personnel administration, and training of technical and nontechnical personnel with experience presenting project controls information to client/management.
- Experience mentoring others in cost estimating functions, including planning and scheduling, and leading and training technical and non-technical personnel.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience working with a general or specialty subcontractor and working in the estimating field in the San Francisco Bay Area or other high-cost area.
- Certified Estimating Professional certification or Project Management Professional certification.
- Experience using software tools such as Primavera P6, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, Revit, and SharePoint.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.