W80-4 Life Extension Program Engineering Flight Group Leader - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3 / SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$160,590.00 - $216,360.00 Annually for the SEL.3 level
$192,660.00 - $259,584.00 Annually for the SEL.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Group Leader for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) Engineering Flight Group. You will provide professional leadership for high-level technical activities and lead a group of professional and technical personnel to provide project engineering, project management, product design and testing leading to certification and qualification of the W80-4 nuclear warhead and Joint Test Assembly (JTA) for the Long Range Standoff (LRSO) Cruise Missile. These positions are in support of Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Program initiatives and will be in the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide supervision, guidance and training to group members, foster staff development, promote design engineering improvements, participate in hiring activities and balancing of group skillsets to support WTE and WCI programs.
- Provide a flight engineering group with leadership in project engineering and management, interagency coordination, design development, product realization, qualification, and certification.
- Support the technical growth of Product Realization Team personnel; and provide training and guidance in their engagements with Production Agencies (PAs) executing JTA manufacturing and with Air Force staff and contractors executing the LRSO flight test program.
- Provide overall technical, safety and derivative classifier (DC) leadership to Program and Group activities.
- Remain cognizant of the technical goals, programmatic priorities, group workload balances, and progress of group projects. Support engagements with programmatic leadership as needed to ensure group workloads executable.
- Prepare and conduct performance management activities for flight group personnel and contribute to the DTED ranking and salary management processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.4 level
- Provide solutions to unusual, highly complex, and/or sensitive issues/problems where the solution path is not known ahead of time.
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by program management and external customers based on product development or flight test domain expertise.
- Responsible for goal setting, strategic planning efforts, and succession planning on long range goals, working with the W80-4 Associate Division Leader and peer Group Leaders.
- Serve as program spokesperson to Laboratory management and/or peers in the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE).
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field with significant relevant experience.
- Significant experience with design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, PAs, PRTs and product realization, certification and qualification work.
- Advanced knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, systems, and design.
- Advanced communication skills to ensure facilitation, negotiation and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, mediate, compromise and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, organizational, and supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance appraisals, and actively participate in ranking and hiring activities.
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines and keep management well informed.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.4 level
- Significant record of flight test and/or weapon design and PRT accomplishments.
- Expert knowledge of nuclear design as it relates to flight test or product realization activities.
- Expertise with project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing budgets.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, mediate, compromise, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors and contribute to strategic plans and goals. Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities.
- Significant experience and expert design engineering knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory and the NSE.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering or related field.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.