Optical Science Laser Experimentalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Optical Science Laser Experimentalist to perform a full range of complex research in the area of laser matter interactions. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of a team responsible for developing and fielding new experiments to probe how lasers interact various materials and optical components. This position is in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate.
In this role you will
- Design and field beam delivery optics for kJ class pulsed laser systems to specified requirements that may not be well-defined.
- Design and field complex beam diagnostics for use in laser matter interaction experiments using kJ class pulsed laser systems to specified requirements.
- Trouble-shoot optical delivery and control systems, working independently, under minimal direction.
- Provide quality control of data.
- Design and use of electromechanically controlled systems in optical laboratories.
- Utilize LabVIEW for control of imaging and electromechanically controlled systems.
- Interact with stakeholders at various levels to assist in developing hypothesis-driven experimental requirements.
- Develop and present written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Physics or optical engineering or the equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge in designing, conducting, and analyzing experimental data in the field of laser-mater interactions.
- Advanced knowledge of complex physics, optics, or laser systems and experience working with electro-mechanical components.
- Significant experience performing complex engineering troubleshooting and analysis as well as maintaining control data while working under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to project sponsors and external collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledgeable of laser-mater interaction theory.
- Experience with multi-J class laser systems.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.