Data Center Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220.00 - $134,976.00 Annually for the 393.1 level
$126,120.00 - $163,344.00 Annually for the 393.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Data Center Engineer to provide data center technical support for networks and systems in the areas of data center hardware installation, configuration management, and infrastructure monitoring. This position interacts regularly with team members, NIF management, and other computer staff to define and formulate solutions for a complicated data center environment typically in a very tight timeline. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Support NIF’s data center daily operations and conduct daily inspections of all infrastructure equipment.
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot all data center hardware (e.g., Intel/Linux/Unix/Network/) including required upgrades (firmware) and optimization.
- Troubleshoot and manage advanced HP or Cisco blade chassis, provide support of intel-based blades, and rack server hardware.
- Manage and monitor power usage, UPS devices, and schedule upgrades or replacements with stakeholders following required NIF operational processes.
- Physical installation and removal of patch cabling, and cabling components, and related material and ensure that all links and communication cables have been tested, labeled, connected, and documented.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 393.2 level
- Manage multiple highly advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met.
- Independently apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop complex tools and procedures to improve monitoring infrastructures services.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Experience interacting with computer security personnel to provide input to computer security plans, ensuring computer security compliance, monitoring systems for general health, security incidents, and other events.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical experience performing Windows and/or Linux system administration in a complex environment, including installation, performance tuning, networking, security, troubleshooting, monitoring, backup/archiving and hardware replacement.
- Broad and in-depth experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, PKI, Cisco IOS, Scripting, DNS, Orion, or network certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP, RedHat, CCNA).
- Experience providing effective customer support in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and flexibility to adjust to changing deadlines.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Substantial experience serving as a technical team lead on projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure on time and on budget.
- Highly advanced knowledge of and substantial experience with Windows, and/or Linux operating systems, and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in computer Data Center architecture.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.