Administrative Specialist - Materials Science Division
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/17/2023
Job Code: 405.3 Administrative Specialist III / 405.4 Administrative Specialist IV
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$30.08 - $37.94 Hourly for the 405.3 level
$34.63 - $43.70 Hourly for the 405.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Administrative Specialist. Under limited supervision, you will perform a full range of moderately difficult administrative assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. This position is in the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the 405.3 or 405.4 level depending on qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Represent management and serve as a resource in daily routine administrative matters.
- Gather information from various sources, compile data, and prepare complex reports and presentations.
- Independently compose correspondence for signature.
- Screen telephone calls, independently answer inquiries, make appropriate referrals, follow through on requests; review, prioritize, and disseminate incoming mail.
- Identify and make recommendations for process improvements.
- Independently schedule appointments and maintain calendars.
- Coordinate external visits, including verification of security clearances, preparation of agenda, badging, and information dissemination.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Addition job responsibilities at the 405.4 Level
- Prepare, review, and/or compose administrative material for management signature and independently track action items, ensuring timely flow of paperwork.
- Establish and maintain multifaceted databases, spreadsheets, files, and tracking systems.
- Coordinate, select, and compile data from multiple sources for both classified and unclassified correspondence, complex reports, and presentations.
- This position requires the ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Secretarial and administrative knowledge and experience including accurate keyboarding, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills; advanced knowledge of office procedures, techniques, and methods.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow through.
- Experience working under limited supervision, in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse workforce and represent the organization with all levels of management, internal and external to the Laboratory, using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to identify and make recommendations for administrative problems.
- Ability to coordinate multiple activities and independently determine and set priorities and goals.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
Additional qualifications at the 405.4 Level
- Specialized and advanced knowledge of office procedures, techniques and methods, including effective problem solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions to complex administrative problems.
- Advanced organizational skills to manage and complete complex projects, including the coordination of multiple activities and the ability to independently determine and set priorities and goals.
- Ability to be flexible and discreet in handling sensitive and complex issues, and experience working effectively as a team member as well as independently under minimal supervision in an environment with frequent interruptions and changing deadlines, instructions and priorities.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with Visitor Tracking System (VTS) and Foreign Travel System (FTS).
- Experience arranging domestic and/or foreign travel.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.