CAD Engineering Design Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 334.1 Engineering Design Associate
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
- $104,220 - $134,976 (334.1) Annual
- Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a CAD Engineering Design Associate. You will provide design and drafting services to prepare construction documents for facility design projects. This position does not require an extremely strong background in architecture or engineering, however it is required to have a good understanding in order to work closely with architects and engineers. The applicant must be willing to work on a variety of projects simultaneously and be detail oriented. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO) and will be matrixed to the NIF (National Ignition Facility) Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Apply innovative technical expertise to read, understand, design, and create multi discipline construction drawings in AutoCAD and REVIT
- Create, revise, and archive electronic drawings, including native AutoCAD, Revit and raster formats using complex engineering formulas and calculations.
- Maintain CAD templates and libraries.
- Coordinate with LLNL’s Technical Information Department for special print tasks.
- Provide technical advice to keep CAD users up to date on new productivity techniques and provide mentorship and recommend training.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel to independently formulate and develop advanced technical and administrative CAD solutions to complicated design problems based on interpreting and analyzing complicated data.
- Use independent discretion and judgment to provide original solutions to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures, to choose appropriate work methods and possibly to set priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Minimum 3-5 years of experience in an architectural/engineering office environment
- Advanced knowledge of drafting practices, techniques, departmental standards and procedures in preparing drawings or graphics.
- Significant technical expertise in one or more of the following: mechanical, electronics, construction, architectural, or civil engineering design fields, with specialized knowledge in areas such as: materials, fabrication processes, construction methods, surveying, etc.
- Significant applied experience and advanced knowledge of AutoCAD, REVIT, Bluebeam Revu, and other associated software.
- Experience preparing multidisciplinary construction documents.
- Proven ability to make independent technical decisions and solve complex design problems that may have significant consequences to broad segments and/or sections of a major project.
- May provide input and estimates for budgets, schedules, and manpower needs and presents regular formalized reporting to management.
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team environment and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to tactfully and effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel, and the ability to facilitate small groups.
- Highly dependable with outstanding attention to detail.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of engineering discipline-specific software packages.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.