Linux Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220.00 - $134,976.00 Annually for the 393.1 level
$126,120.00 - $163,344.00 Annually for the 393.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical support for Linux services in a closed environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions (ITSD) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this Role You will
- Perform operations support functions, including problem isolation, resolution, and documentation.
- Build, configure, and test new STIG and NNSA compliant baseline images.
- Create and update complex Ansible playbooks/roles to configure and maintain NNSA compliant base Linux images.
- Create and update kickstart files to automate configuration of RedHat Linux installations.
- Configure, operate, and update RedHat satellite services in a closed environment.
- Work with Linux team lead in developing new strategies for operational efficiencies.
- Automate operational tasks with help of shell scripting or other techniques.
- Support other operational tasks as needed to ensure secure and reliable environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 393.2 level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex service-related problems.
- Serve as a technical leader in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical assistance to customers.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer Science, Information Technology, or Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience with complex troubleshooting in a Linux environment.
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems.
- Strong bash/shell scripting skills.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Extensive experience working independently to plan and schedule workload, establish priorities, and collaborate with high-level technical personnel.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Linux operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Experience with writing advanced shell scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Ansible or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, Kickstart, PKI authentications, Active Directory (Samba, Winbind, SSS, Realm), GIT, BIND, DNS, Python, Perl, CSH/BASH, Docker, and other container technologies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.