Mechanical Technologist - Materials Characterization
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist in the Materials and Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Section within the Materials Engineering Division (MED). You will support ongoing mission critical activities. In this role, you will provide technical support of materials characterization activities, such as sample preparation, digital optical microscopy, hardness testing, and other microscopy techniques, for a variety of metal alloys and other materials. As part of the team, you will interact with materials scientists, engineers, technologists, and support personnel.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work with chemicals (etchants, solvents, embedding resins), metallographic lab equipment (microscopes, compositions and particle analyzers, precision saws, polishers), and various alloys.
- Operate various machine tools, power tools, and hand tools.
- Provide general technical support in sample preparation and sample analysis.
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgement.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- Complete various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments.
- Maintain documentation of systems and experimental records.
- Practice good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 Level
- Provide advanced design and fabrication support using appropriate materials and processes.
- Interact directly with physicists, engineers, scientists, and project leads to identify, evaluate, and analyze requirements and processes.
- Set priorities, schedules, and manpower requirements to solve complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- An associate degree in microscopy, materials science or related engineering technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Experience with common metallurgical sample preparation techniques, including basic component mounting, sectioning, fine polishing, and etching.
- Experience making independent decisions regarding moderately complex technical problems.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated proficient written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, handle conflicting tasks, and interact effectively with team members.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software (MS Office Suite).
- Experience using precision measurement equipment such as calipers, micrometers, and height gauges.
- Experience using general hand tools to include hand drills, and hand grinders.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of characterization techniques and metallurgical sample preparation.
- Significant experience operating characterization equipment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with microstructures.
- Familiarity with image analysis.
- Familiarity with micro-hardness lab equipment.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.