Geophysics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Pay: $108,840 Annually
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to pursue original and independent research in support of ongoing projects to detect and characterize undocumented orphaned wells for mitigation of methane emissions, and to monitor migration of subsurface CO2 plumes using multi-physics sensor data. We are seeking an individual with computational skills in subsurface imaging and monitoring. You will work with a team of experienced scientists to design, conduct and analyze simulations and experiments to understand subsurface processes and associated uncertainty. This position is in the Porous Media Group with close integration with Computational Geosciences Group of the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division (AEED).
In this role, you will
- Apply requisite computer software for simulation of experiments or for virtual data generation.
- Develop computer codes for numerical modeling, data analysis and visualization.
- Employ physical, statistical or machine learning-based methods for analyzing and interpreting multi-physics simulation and experimental data to understand subsurface processes (e.g., CO2 injection, fluid flow and transport, enhanced geothermal systems).
- Author or co-author peer-reviewed journal articles, reports and scientific presentations to internal and external audience.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a scientific team and interact with scientists and engineers to design and implement creative solutions to challenging research problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in geophysics, earth science, physics, applied mathematics, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with geophysical imaging techniques (e.g., electrical resistivity, electromagnetics, magnetics, gravity, ground penetrating radar, InSAR or seismic methods).
- Ability to formulate novel solutions related to understanding of subsurface processes using geophysical models or data.
- Record of completing research in relevant areas of geophysics.
- Knowledge of modern computer systems (e.g., Windows, Mac or Linux), computational tools and programming languages (e.g., Python, Fortran, C/C++, Java or Matlab).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a diverse, collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in Python programming
- Experience in multiphysics data processing and analysis
- Experience in implementing numerical algorithms for geophysical forward and inverse modeling.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. This position does not require US citizenship.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now