Laser Postdoctoral Researcher, APT
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$108,600 - $120,120 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Laser Postdoctoral Researcher in Advanced Photon Technologies (APT) to participate in the research and development of advanced solid-state laser technology, ultra-fast solid-state lasers, high peak power lasers, high average power lasers, and high energy / high intensity short pulse lasers. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening up new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
APT specializes in developing high repetition rate Petawatt-class laser systems, like the High-repetition-rate Advanced Petawatt Laser System and the Dual-mode Energetic Laser for Plasma and High Intensity science upgrade for the MEC end-station at SLAC. The group is a dynamic environment developing next generation laser technologies for high-energy, high average power lasers tailored to applications including Inertial Fusion Energy. This position is in the HED&PS organization in the Advanced Photon Technologies (APT) group in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: long and short pulse laser experiments including characterization of performance, designing, building, testing, fielding, and commissioning laser systems, components, including laser and optical diagnostics.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD degree in laser physics, applied physics, general physics, atomic physics, optics and optoelectronics, or related field or discipline.
- Experience designing, building, and operating high energy solid state lasers
- Experience withone or more of the following areas: - short pulse laser technology, frequency conversion, non-linear optics, fiber lasers, ultrafast laser, short pulse laser diagnostics, plasma physics.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser, pulsed power sources, high density plasma interactions and/or conducting high energy density experiments.
- Experience with optoelectronic device simulation (LaserMOD, LASTIP, PICS3D, Silvaco and/or self-written code) and/or optical system design and analysis using sequential and/or non-sequential raytracing tools (Zemax, Code V, OSLO, FRED, LightTools, or ASAP).
- Experience with electromagnetic field simulation using finite-difference time domain, finite element, finite element thermal simulation (e.g., COMSOL, ANSYS, and/or self-written code), and/or beam propagation simulation tools (FIMMWave, BeamPROP, etc., and/or self-written code).
- Experience with CAD-based mechanical design (e.g., AutoCAD, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, etc.) and test equipment control and automation software development (LabVIEW, Python, MATLAB, etc.).
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now