Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$113,730 - $153,264 Annually for the TSS.2 level
$136,500 - $183,888 Annually for the TSS.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Civil or Structural Engineer with a structural background. The successful candidate will provide structural engineering analysis and design support for structural design projects including modifications to existing facilities, new facility design, seismic qualification of nuclear components, blast design, fall protection design, and lateral restraint of nonstructural components and distribution systems. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your skills, knowledge, and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide engineering support to other design team members by collecting, organizing, and reviewing data required during the design process.
- Prepare and provide code review of structural drawings and specifications.
- Review and approve construction submittals and observe construction field activities and installations to ensure compliance with LLNL criteria and building codes.
- Participate in the development of complex and detailed engineering designs and construction packages under limited direction.
- Provide engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderately complex structural engineering issues and/or problems.
- Represent the organization in providing solutions to moderately complex technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.3 level:
- Produce complex detailed engineering structural designs, calculations, and specifications; evaluate methods being used; review and stamp drawings.
- Work with Project Managers in establishing structural design scope and criteria for outside Architectural Engineering (A&E) projects and review structural designs by consulting A&E firms for completeness and conformance to specified LLNL criteria and building codes.
- Mentor peers and less experienced junior engineers in structural engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structures, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience working independently under limited direction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, techniques, practices, and procedures for completing tasks or projects in structural engineering.
- Knowledge of structural engineering design software used for the sizing of foundations, walls, beams, slabs, anchors, etc. (Rapid Structural Engineering Analysis (RISA) preferred).
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills necessary to provide alternate solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems, and ability to effectively communicate solutions to others.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to use AutoCAD to prepare design drawings.
- Familiarity with building information modeling software (Revit preferred).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the TSS.3 level:
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with fundamental concepts, techniques, practices, and procedures for completing tasks or projects in structural engineering.
- Experience with the structural provisions of the latest building codes and standards such as California Building Code (CBC), International Building Code (IBC), and American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Significant experience in advanced design, alteration, and construction of commercial, industrial and/or laboratory facilities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Membership in professional organizations such as ASCE/SEI/SEAONC.
- Experience designing nonstructural components such as, bracing and anchorage.
- Experience using concrete (ACI), steel (AISC), wood/timber (NDS) and masonry (TMS) codes.
- Experience working with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Department of Energy (DOE-STD-1020).
- Ability to use Revit to prepare design drawings.
- Registration as a Professional Structural Engineer in the State of California.
- Experience with design for blast.
- Experience with design of nuclear facilities.
- Work locations could include office-based or construction jobsites ranging from commercial to heavy industrial environments that include working in adverse climates, and extensive walking, requiring stairs, passenger use of personal hoists, negotiating work areas under construction, climbing permanent and temporary ladders.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.