Engineering Technical Associate, NIF TASE Experimental Support
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220 - $134,976 Annually for the 337.1 level
$126,120 - $163,344 Annually for the 339.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening within the NIF Target Area Science & Engineering (TASE) organization for an Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening up new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to make a real impact on large-scale physics experiments. You will provide engineering solutions for developing, implementing, and maintaining target diagnostic systems hardware. You will provide maintenance and upgrades to fielded diagnostic systems, support infrastructure, facility integration, and assist with technical project management duties. You will contribute to the engineering design and development of new hardware and system upgrades to continually improve system performance and reliability. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Apply innovative technical expertise to the development, evaluation, operation, and maintenance of complex electrical, mechanical, and diagnostic systems.
- Employ and tailor test equipment used in troubleshooting, maintenance, and operational plans
- Plan and allocate manpower and resources strategically for complex to highly complex equipment installation, development, operations, and maintenance tasks.
- Collaborate and work with facility staff for shot operations and maintenance activities.
- Provide technical expertise, advice, and direction to technicians, making frequent decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Lead initiatives to implement process improvements based on data and employee feedback. Promote cross-training and cross-qualification of team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Under minimal direction, apply engineering principals in the development of diagnostic system designs. Activities include planning work activities, collaborating with stakeholders to develop requirements, designing, and building hardware.
- Develop strategic planning and serve as a subject matter expert for operational diagnostic systems and support off-normal occurrences.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel to provide highly advanced technical and/or technical management support for target diagnostics.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in electronics engineering technology, vacuum technology, mechatronics technology, technical management, or equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Advanced skills and understanding of target diagnostic systems such as: x-ray, optical, neutron, etc.
- Advanced verbal and written communication, presentation, and feedback skills in multiple technical areas.
- Ability to manage multiple projects within constraints.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment effectively with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
- Ability to work in an area of Beryllium and radiologically contaminated areas.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Ability to develop strategic plans which can improve work scope efficiency.
- Highly advanced communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills, including technical presentations to peer review committees.
- Experience making frequent, independent decisions to define project approaches, and create and implement original solutions to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures, to choose appropriate work methods and possibly to set priorities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and managing within designated budget.
- Experience working with RF (radio frequency), high-vacuum, fast-pulsed circuitry, and fiber optic communications systems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.