NARAC Full Stack Software Developer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a mid-career Full Stack Software Developer to work on the National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center (NARAC) software team. You will create software applications in support of mission critical emergency planning and emergency response efforts related to atmospheric releases of hazardous materials. Working with a collaborative multi-disciplinary team of talented software developers, health physicists, meteorologists, and the like, your primary responsibilities will be to own and contribute to the design, development, deployment and maintenance of web-based applications, touching all levels of the stack including user interfaces, frontend-to-backend interaction, and database management. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to Global Security's N Program.
You will be hired at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Work with modern technologies and frameworks, such as, Angular, TypeScript, Node.js, Java, MongoDB, and Docker.
- Employ solid industry-standard software development practices to create robust, efficient, scalable, and maintainable applications.
- Be highly involved in all phases of the software development lifecycle, including the design, implementation, deployment and operation, of new features for existing codebases and of new applications.
- Perform regular code reviews and create technical and product documentation for team members and users.
- Contribute to CI/CD pipelines for building and testing the applications.
- Resolve challenging and diverse customer requests and rapidly respond to operational requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member's skills.
- Architect and guide others in the development of tools or frameworks improving the application development experience and engage in continuous refinement of end-to-end processes.
- Effectively perform duties using independent judgment and minimal direction.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficiency with front-end web technologies, such as, HTML, CSS, TypeScript, Angular or similar.
- Broad experience with back-end programming paradigms, such as, Java, Node.js or similar.
- Knowledge designing and interacting with NoSQL databases, such as, MongoDB.
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies, such as, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with cloud services, such as, Azure or AWS.
- Experience with software development lifecycle, version control, and issue tracking tools.
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment tools, such as, Jenkins.
- Ability to troubleshoot software issues and provide technical support and complete concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, changing focus when necessary.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to constructively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience architecting, implementing, deploying, and maintaining full-stack software systems.
- Advanced ability to work efficiently with minimal guidance, provide innovative approaches and ideas, and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present, explain and interact with stakeholders and management.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now