Numerical Algorithms for Transport - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform research and development of numerical algorithms for phase-space transport in the settings of high-order finite element methods. You will design, implement, analyze, and test new approaches for multi-dimensional discretizations and transformations of curvilinear coordinate systems up to 6D. In addition to numerical methods research, the work will involve development of efficient and scalable finite element software in LLNL’s MFEM finite element library. The project targets impacting practical applications of interest to the US Department of Energy (DOE), including the BLAST compressible shock hydrodynamics code developed at LLNL. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
- Research new discretizations of multi-dimensional phase-space models, in the context of simulations based on high-order finite elements.
- Analyze various transformations of the phase-space coordinate system to improve the solution techniques for transport in fusion plasmas.
- Develop methods for hr-adaptivity of high-order multi-dimensional meshes.
- Implement and test the new methods in the MFEM finite element library, targeting flexible user interface and applicability to various applications of interest to DOE.
- Incorporate, evaluate and improve the performance of the new algorithms in specific applications, such as the BLAST compressible shock hydrodynamics code.
- Document complex research and development progress via technical reports, journal publications, and conference presentations.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Computational Science, or related field.
- Knowledge of the Boltzmann transport equation.
- Knowledge of finite element methods for PDE discretizations on unstructured meshes.
- Experience in developing complex C++ software in a Linux environment.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent research projects as demonstrated through publications of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and papers and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary research teams.
Qualifications we desire:
- Knowledge of high-order discretizations and familiarity with the MFEM finite element library.
- Knowledge of curvilinear coordinate systems.
- Experience in developing large-scale scientific software with MPI, CUDA or OpenMP.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.