Windows Configuration Management Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220 - $134,976 Annually for the 393.1 Level
$126,120 - $163,344 Annually for the 393.2 Level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Windows Configuration Management Administrator to support the Windows enterprise configuration management services. You will provide technical support in the development, testing, installation, and support of the system. You will drive and create configuration management processes, obtaining requirements from business units, and provide training for configuration management processes. You will work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team environment focusing on tool development and automation for Microsoft technologies. You will be part of the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) within the Computing Directorate and working as part of the LivIT Workforce Enablement Team that supports the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide day-to-day advanced configuration management support to individual customers by responding to technical support requests while using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment in analyzing and determining the probable cause of problems.
- Provide advanced guidance to individuals regarding configuration management services usage and functionality, suggested techniques, best practices, and resolution to problems involving unexpected application behavior.
- Participate in major system upgrades/updates/introductions including installations and support of configuration management applications on Windows environments.
- Perform Quality Assurance testing to support application change with respect to updates, upgrades, and migrations.
- Research and analyze productivity enhancing applications for configuration management processes.
- Interface with configuration management vendors to address escalated issues and complex problems.
- Architect the design and development of service training and related documentation and provide to the user community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 393.2
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex problems related to configuration management.
- Serve as a technical leader, internal and external consultant, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the use community and collaborating with customers.
- Lead projects, drive problem resolution, work with vendors, and manage cases if required.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, knowledge, and prior relevant experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and experience in Windows system administration
- Experience with scripting languages like Windows Batch, or PowerShell.
- Experience in Windows troubleshooting, configuration, deployment, documentation, and/or operations.
- Ability to independently set priorities and resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience exercising effective customer support skills in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, with ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and substantial experience with Windows operating systems.
- Substantial experience serving as a technical lead on projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure on time and on budget.
- Experience training and mentoring team members in windows administration.
Qualifications We Desire
- Proficiency using PowerShell to administer Microsoft systems and services.
- Experience with Windows configuration management software like Ivanti, SCCM.
- Experience directing complex troubleshooting.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.