Pressure Safety Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Pressure Safety Engineer to participate in designing, redesigning, and optimizing new and ongoing projects associated with systems, structures, and components at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). You will contribute to the engineering design and development and redesign of pressure systems and equipment upgrades to continually improve performance and reliability. This position will be assigned to the Safety Engineering Functional Area (SEFA) and will provide pressure safety engineering expertise and support to multiple clients as an integral member of the Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Associate Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide mechanical engineering solutions to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Research, evaluate, design, and redesign pressure systems and pressure relief devices for small and large projects, to include siting, integrity, suitability, and compatibility.
- Participate as a member of multidisciplinary teams which utilizes experience in pressure safety applications to design unique solutions for systems following established codes and standards.
- Conduct technical or operational projects and/or support research efforts by adhering to the highest standards of personnel and facility safety while leading the execution of high-energy, multi-hazard system demonstrations and experiments.
- Collaborates in the development of innovative methods/technology and incremental advancement of knowledge.
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews. Present design materials to inter-organization and external audiences. Manage the requirements and specifications used for pressure safety systems.
- Prepare safety and engineering support documentation and reports needed for successful execution of experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and where a high-degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches.
- Use independent judgment and considerable latitude to establish and accomplish objectives.
- Develop new ideas and redefine customer requirements that impact organizational operations or directions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in pressurized systems and related mechanical engineering, including advanced knowledge of and aptitude toward design, structural, validation, testing, suitability, and evaluation of conformity with applicable codes and standards.
- Advanced application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to direct and mentor other team members.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Advanced experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert level application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of highly advanced concepts of mechanical design and engineering analysis.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, external sponsors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Professional Engineer license or other related professional certification.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices and their application.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.