Senior NQA-1 Quality Assurance Engineer/Specialist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2023
Job Code: TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4 / TSS.5 Technical Services & Ops MTS 5
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$163,740 - $220,632 Annually for the TSS.4 level
$196,500 - $264,744 Annually for the TSS.5 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Senior Quality Assurance Engineer/Specialist to lead the on-going development and maintenance of LLNL’s institutional quality assurance program, transition to application of NQA-1 to existing LLNL nuclear facilities, and lead and perform independent audits and assessments of nuclear facility operations and maintenance. You will also provide technical subject matter expertise and support related to implementation of the institutional quality assurance program and adopted consensus standards, including ASME NQA-1, ISO 9001, and ANSI Z1.13. You will work with LLNL assurance managers, engineers and scientists, the Department of Energy Livermore Field Office, and counterparts at other national laboratories to obtain benchmarks and provide feedback on organization issues and performance. This position reports to the Quality Assurance Manager, which is part of Mission Assurance, under the Office of Laboratory Oversight.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Develop and maintain institutional programs to ensure compliance to nuclear facility regulations
- Plan, prepare, and conduct internal independent audits and assessments of LLNL activities
- Plan, prepare, and conduct supplier audits for nuclear facility equipment and services. This may require occasional travel.
- Develop and maintain quality assurance program procedures at an institutional level for implementation of NQA-1 and other consensus standards
- Review institutional quality-related procedures and documents for conformance to QA program requirements
- Develop and implement corrective actions for conditions adverse to quality
- Prepare for and serve as a liaison for external audits and assessments
- Identify LLNL performance issues, provide interpretation of quality documents and monitor key performance indicators and approaches for resolution of issues
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.5 level
- Provide innovative solutions and involve broadly defined long-range targets.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria in support of technical and operational projects.
- Brief senior management on overall impact and approach.
- Champion projects, strategic planning, directing projects/programs, serve as the organization spokesperson on NQA-1 topics.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or scientific discipline or quality assurance, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience in the field of engineering, environmental, procurement, construction, testing, operations or quality assurance.
- Technical and working knowledge of DOE Order 414.1, NQA-1, and 10 CFR 830 and their application to nuclear related activities and facilities.
- Audit Team Lead certification meeting the requirements of ASME NQA-1 or ability to be certifiable within six months.
- Technical knowledge in engineering, procurement engineering, commercial grade dedication, procurement, nuclear safety, construction, or operations of nuclear facilities sufficient to comprehend the application of and relationships to technical and quality requirements.
- Broad programmatic understanding of the application of NQA-1 to nuclear facility operations or construction, including commercial grade dedication and software quality assurance.
- Significant experience leading and performing independent audits or assessments, both supplier and internal, to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, contracts, and standards.
- Proven expert in problem solving, decision making, and possessing the analytical skills necessary to independently resolve highly unusual, complex and sensitive issues and provide consultative direction and innovative solutions that significantly impact LLNL’s quality assurance program and assessment processes.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills, including ability to summarize complex technical issues for senior management, reviewers, stakeholders, and regulators.
- DOE nuclear facility, DOD, e.g., Navy nuclear, or commercial nuclear power experience.
- Highly advanced reasoning skills for problem identification and resolution.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.5 level
- Expert knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies or processes to make advancements in the area of expertise, NQA-1 driven processes. May have nationally recognized expertise.
- Apply cutting-edge principles, theories, concepts, and technologies.
- Ability to champion, lead, and develop creative cutting edge solutions, principles, theories, and concepts.
Qualifications We Desire
- Technical and working knowledge of commercial grade dedication standards including EPRI NP-5652, DOE Handbook 1230-2019, etc.
- Software quality assurance engineering experience
- Procurement engineering experience for nuclear facilities
- Ability to stand up a surveillance program based on NQA-1
- Ability to lead a commercial grade survey with appropriate engineering personnel
- Specialized courses in engineering, technical, or quality disciplines
- Knowledge of the application of corrective actions for conditions adverse to quality
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards associated with the engineering, operations, design, construction, and procurement of nuclear facilities
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.