Engineer Technical Associate
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220$134,976 Annually for the 337.1 Level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Engineering Technical Associate who will work independently and under minimal supervision to engineer telecommunication service requirements for LLNL. You will be responsible for inter-building and intra-building infrastructure design including pathways, riser and horizontal cabling, cabling and termination hardware, bonding/grounding, distribution facilities, and environmental equipment. The position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division within the Computing Directorate, in support of LivIT.
In this role you will
- Forecast, perform long range planning and maintain the laboratory’s Outside Plant (OSP) distribution system, including quantities, types and routing of all cable and infrastructure placement and maintaining records/documentation using drawings and department databases.
- Frequently make independent decisions regarding complex to highly complex technical problems concerning telecommunications infrastructure.
- Establish and modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures to choose appropriate work methods, set work priorities and assemble/prepare work packages for technicians.
- Produce detailed conceptual designs for structured telecommunications cabling systems that include computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) and all necessary information for development in the field construction.
- Represent the laboratory, interacting with outside agencies and vendors to develop infrastructure standards and specifications.
- Rapidly produce complex budgetary project estimates based on customer requirements for inter and intra-building telecommunications services.
- Consult, plan, design, estimate costs and coordinate communication installations to provide for present and future communication needs while leading the design of the intra-facility infrastructures, pathways and spaces, cabling, cabling hardware, distribution facilities, bonding and grounding.
- Develop and submit complex communication design criteria and specifications for Laboratory construction projects and serve as a technical resource for technicians on OSP and construction projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in electronics, mechanical, industrial, manufacturing, computer engineering or electro-optic technology or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing design plans, preparing drawings, and writing specifications.
- Advanced understanding of the technical, physical, and safety requirements associated with telecommunications infrastructure management.
- Advanced knowledge of communication industry “Standards and Practices”.
- Advanced knowledge of all phases of cable plant design, installation and maintenance including twisted pair and fiber.
- Ability to work independently at an advanced technical level without daily technical supervision and manage complex telecommunications projects.
- Advanced interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of AutoCAD (computer-aided drafting).
- Knowledge of the LLNL telecommunications infrastructure, physical plant layout, security requirements, service order systems, and procedures and documentation systems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.