Staff Scientist - Biological Data Science
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Staff Scientist with experience in Data Science. You will utilize data science methods to explore in-house, curated LLNL datasets focused on biological and analytical chemistry problems. You will actively develop new state-of-the-art algorithms to support the national biosecurity interest. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team including biologists, analytical chemists, and data scientists. This position is in the BioSecurity and BioForensics group of the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job duties will be assigned at the higher level.
- Apply moderately complex Data Science methods to real-world biological science and national security applications.
- Represent LLNL by providing Data Science input on technical issues for specific projects.
- Train and validate new Machine Learning algorithms in the fields of biology and analytical chemistry.
- Conduct literature reviews on state-of-the-art Data Science/Machine Learning algorithms relevant to the problem being addressed.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional duties at the SES.3 Level
- Prepare and present technical reports
- Collaborate and interact with inter-organizational contacts and/or external customers.
- Evaluate large data sets to refine, inform, and design subsequent experiments.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with Python programming, including numeric, data analysis, and machine learning libraries such as NumPy, pandas, scikit-learn, PyTorch, and/or Tensorflow.
- Practical experience with applied Machine Learning pipelines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of machine learning concepts, including classification, regression, and unsupervised learning.
- Practical experience with data science methods.
- Demonstrated understanding of statistical and mathematical methods used in machine learning, evaluation, and hypothesis testing.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment and able to work both independently and as a team with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient with common software (e.g., Microsoft Office applications) and able to quickly learn new software.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience with convex optimization, model order reduction, or multiscale modeling
- Significant experience with uncertainty quantification and statistical inference methods
- Practical experience with big data storage and data warehousing methods
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
Qualifications We Desire
- MS in Computer Science or Machine Learning
- Experience applying Machine Learning in biosciences or analytical chemistry fields
- Practical experience with large sequence models/transformers
- Experience applying Machine Learning on spatiotemporal data streams/video streams
- Working knowledge of good BBQ
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.