Superblock Waste Operations Supervisor
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: 304.1 Scientific Associate - C/MS / 304.2 Sr Scientific Associate C/MS
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220 - $134,976 Annually for the 304.1 level
$126,120 - $163,344 Annually for the 304.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Superblock Waste Operations Supervisor. You will oversee a team of technicians to provide safe, efficient, and compliant waste management customer service to programs and facilities. Your team will work to identify, characterize, package, document and transport a variety of regulated wastes, including but not limited to hazardous, universal, and radioactive wastes, including transuranic waste. This is a working-supervisor type of position, and you will be required to work alongside your team often. You will be responsible for scheduling employee day-to-day assignments and overall workloads, ensuring compliance with all Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) requirements, and training and mentoring of team members. This position is within the Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management Program (RHWM) in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 304.1 or 304.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide direct oversight of waste management operations including the packaging and verification of waste materials, lab-pack materials, spill response, waste generator support and compliance inspection of Waste Accumulation Areas (WAAs) and Satellite Accumulation Areas (SAAs).
- Provide direct oversight of operations in high-hazard and nuclear facilities.
- Work with waste generators, programs, facilities and RHWM personnel to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions to waste management issues.
- Manage day to day activities of approximately 10 team members including scheduling work assignments, training, and additional resources and provide the necessary training and mentoring of all team members to ensure the team functions at a high-level.
- Contribute as a member of the Waste Generator Services group management team in the overall management of the group, planning projects and activities, and development of the annual budget.
- Wear PPE such as Tyvek and respirator while working in various enclosures (e.g., glove boxes) with radioactive and hazardous materials.
- Develop and implement plans to promote culture, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 304.2 level
- Manage both small and large projects independently with the ability to deal with changing priorities.
- Provide advanced nuclear operations and/or waste management and/or contamination control capabilities.
- Develop longer-term workforce planning to ensure the team continues to provide the support needed.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental or related scientific field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of RHWM’s waste tracking databases, or previous experience utilizing databases to track, record, and generate reports.
- Understanding of waste management requirements in generator areas, including SAAs and WAAs.
- Experience working within nuclear facilities or other high-hazard facilities that are highly regulated.
- Demonstrated experience training and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Demonstrated organization skills, attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Currently qualified as a Certified Fissile Material Handler (CFMH), or ability to achieve this qualification in a short period of time (i.e., months).
- Demonstrated experience communicating effectively and respectfully with a broad range of personnel.
- Demonstrated experience implementing plans that promote and value diversity, equity and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Additional qualifications at the 304.2 level
- Previous experience leading teams and motivating personnel.
- Currently qualified as a Senior Certified Fissile Material Handler (SCFMH) or ability to achieve this qualification in a short period of time (i.e., months) and/or experience providing advanced waste management and/or contamination control abilities.
- Demonstrated experience building strong working relationships across work teams and programs.
Qualifications We Desire
- Currently certified as a Senior Certified Fissile Material Handler.
- Currently possess a Q-clearance.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.