Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $139,128.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $166,992.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Electrical Engineers to participate in new and ongoing projects in the area of National Defense. You will have technical responsibility for a range of duties including design, development, fabrication, integration, testing and fielding of both analog and digital electrical systems. You will function as an individual contributor with general guidance as a member of a project team. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual designs of electrical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Provide engineering solutions to a variety of projects in one or more of the following technical areas: analog and digital circuit design, process control systems, pulsed power and electromagnetics, diagnostics and sensor development, electro-optic systems, data acquisition systems and tester development, and facility electrical equipment and infrastructure.
- Contribute to the detailed design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Learn and support NNSA, institutional, and other quality assurance requirements and processes for state-of-health surveillance of the nuclear stockpile.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Test prototypes and associated diagnostics.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of electrical engineering concepts related to design, assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: process control systems, microcontroller hardware and software, programmable logic controller (PLC) coding, LabVIEW programming, analog design, electro-optics systems, capacitive discharge units (CDUs), telemetry systems, casting technologies, furnace operations, inductive power supplies, and the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Experience with sensor integration, calibration, and signal analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Experience following structured operating procedures.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience in reading and interpreting mechanical, optical, and electrical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Experience in conducting experiments of electrical configuration and settings, and the advanced application of timing and data acquisition systems and comprehensive knowledge of conceptual designs of electrical systems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of digital logic design using field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) in VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL).
- Knowledge of electro-static discharge (ESD) controls and protection.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.