Senior Mechanical Technologist - Nevada Operations
Engineering | lasvegas, NV | 03/15/2023
Job Code: 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Sr. Mechanical Technologist to support the various operations of new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation for various programs. These operations and experiments will involve working with radioactive/fissile materials. You will work independently in a team environment in support of physics experiments, and Mechanical Engineering evaluation. In addition, you will contribute to the team by providing operations, maintenance, design, fabrication, assembly support, and documentation. Work may involve Beryllium, radioactive/fissile materials, other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents. The position is in Nevada but you may have to complete training in Livermore prior to relocation. This position will be in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments in Nevada for LLNL experiments.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, perform comprehensive mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Apply advanced knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Ensure that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology, formal apprenticeship or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Extensive experience in mechanical fabrication and assembly.
- Effective written and verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills and ability to work constructively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience in machining processes with the ability to operate hand/power tools.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirator.
Qualifications We Desire
- Fissile Material Certification.
- Knowledge of Nevada operations including the Device Assembly Facility.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.