Biogeochemistry - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the fields of geospatial information systems (GIS), spatial statistics, and biogeochemical modeling. You will actively participate in research to evaluate climate change impacts on terrestrial wetlands within the contiguous United States, and will work with members of a multi-disciplinary team of geochemists, microbial ecologists, and earth system modelers. This position is in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Compile, integrate, and analyze data from a variety of sources and data types, including remote sensing, terrain, climate projections, hydrologic, soil mineral and carbon, and vegetation. Digitization of maps may be required.
- Extract feature content and perform imagery/spatial analyses of GIS-related data.
- Use numerical and statistical models and techniques, including reactive transport models, to characterize and identify relationships within the extracted features.
- Develop workflows, scripts, and databases that follow FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles.
- Communicate with a broad spectrum of internal and external scientists to solve scientific challenges.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Earth Sciences, Geography, Geospatial Sciences, Civil/Environmental Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with GIS analysis packages (e.g., Esri ArcGIS), reactive transport models (e.g., CrunchFlow and PFLOTRAN), and software development tools (e.g., Esri, Google Maps APIs, GitHub, or other open source frameworks).
- Experience with Python and/or R.
- Ability to develop independent research projects.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience analyzing climate data.
- Experience in machine learning and AI.
- Experience in terrestrial wetlands research.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.