Modeling Stratospheric Variability with E3SM - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on stratospheric dynamics with the DOE Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM). This includes using a Multi-scale Modeling Framework (MMF) configuration in which the conventional parameterizations of convection and microphysics are replaced with an embedded cloud resolving model. E3SM-MMF has been built to leverage GPU acceleration on cutting edge supercomputers, which facilitates much longer experiments than is possible on other MMF models. You will analyze model output from several simulations, compare to observational datasets, and then synthesize the results to assess the fidelity of the stratospheric variability in E3SM and E3SM-MMF. We are particularly interested in understanding how well convective gravity wave are represented in both models. You will also be able to propose sensitivity experiments and learn how to run the model. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth, & Energy Division of the Physical Life Sciences Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct creative and independent research to assess the stratospheric variability and underlying processes in E3SM and E3SM-MMF
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals and present results at conferences
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a team of scientists, both internal and external to the Laboratory
- Communicate research to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science or closely related discipline
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- climate dynamics, stratospheric dynamics, cloud physics, atmospheric modelling
- Proficient in data analysis with a scientific programming language, preferably python
- Experience working with large datasets from climate models or observational data products
- Ability to effectively collaborate with a team of diverse scientists
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with stratospheric dynamics and variability, especially the QBO
- Familiarity with a multi-scale modeling framework (i.e. super-parameterization)
- Familiarity with data on unstructured grids
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.