Cybersecurity Research Engineer (Associate and Mid-Career Levels)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a qualified research engineer to join our interdisciplinary team of cybersecurity experts, data scientists, and engineers supporting a variety of application areas, addressing critical national security related problems. As an experienced Cybersecurity Research Engineer, you will cement specialized custom code, off-the-shelf software tools, hardware, networks, and data to address vital and challenging research and development problems in cybersecurity. As part of this effort, you will apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, and code development to explore, prototype, and build state-of-the-art solutions.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
You will support LLNL’s programs in the Global Security Principal Associate Directorate and participate in collaborative research projects funded by Department of Energy, the State of California and private sectors. This position is within the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers in a multidisciplinary team environment on complex problems in cybersecurity to bring research results to practical use in our Global Security programs.
- Cultivate cybersecurity knowledge and apply it to analyze cybersecurity requirements for new and existing projects.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of original research to address develop cybersecurity software solutions addressing program and sponsor requirements.
- Provide input on cybersecurity technologies, applications, and/or threats for existing projects and sponsors.
- Recommend cybersecurity tools, methods, and technologies to implement solutions to benefit national security.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain advanced cybersecurity technologies for critical federal government networks and other nationally-important systems.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators and visit field sites.
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within the scope of the assignment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Collaborate with collaborators, developers and mid-level management, often representing the organization as the primary technical contact, sharing relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Solve abstract complex problems, creating complex and dynamic algorithms/software modules.
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of networking and network protocols.
- Broad experience in software engineering practices and object-oriented programming concepts.
- Significant expertise developing software applications in C++, C, or Python.
- Extensive experience with UNIX/Linux and critical cybersecurity tools.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, with experience working independently.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and project managers to develop and apply these capabilities to inform engineering decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information to a variety of audiences.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Deep subject matter expertise in multiple relevant areas including: compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, cloud security, and/or systems programming.
- Expertise in successfully leading diverse, highly technical teams to execute weakly defined projects.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.