Computational Biologist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher Computational Biologist to join a dynamic, multidisciplinary project team focused on in silico design and evaluation of microbial gene and protein sequences. You will perform work in an exciting R&D environment in support of a program that integrates bioinformatics, machine learning, structural modeling, software engineering, and large experimental datasets to enable computational protein design. While supporting applied research projects, you will be provided mentorship, practical training, and skill development to develop depth and breadth in machine learning techniques as well as gain exposure to a variety of application areas. This position is in the Systems and Synthetic Biology group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with researchers in protein engineering, structural modeling, bioinformatics, software engineering, and High Performance Computing
- Develop bioinformatics tools and software that enable experimental data integration, protein sequence design, and high-density encoding of synthetic functions in microorganisms
- Inform the acquisition of and leverage large experimental datasets to enable AI-enabled protein design and functional assessment
- Carry out development of moderately complex data analysis algorithms to address bioinformatics needs
- Design technical solutions with limited direction, participating as a member of a multidisciplinary team to design/implement software and perform data analysis
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment and other national laboratories and industry to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Engineering, or another technical discipline providing an underlying skillset in data analysis, bioinformatics, and machine learning techniques
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more of the following: scientific data analysis, statistical analysis, data management technologies, protein structure analysis, protein structure modeling, homology modeling, and protein engineering
- Experience developing and/or applying new bioinformatics software tools and workflow/pipelines to solve problems in computational protein analysis
- Experience with bioinformatic analysis of experimental data in molecular biology
- Broad experience developing software with Python, R, Julie, C, or C++
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original research and communicate findings in peer-reviewed publications.
Qualifications we desire
- Fundamental knowledge of and/or experience developing and applying algorithms in learning, representation learning, zero- or few-shot learning, active learning, reinforcement learning, natural language processing, ensemble methods, and/or statistical modeling and inference methods
- Experience working with and analyzing next-generation sequencing (NGS) data derived from large variant libraries
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and project managers to develop and apply these capabilities to inform research decisions
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.