HPC Computer Associate
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/15/2023
Job Code: 320.1 Computer Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220.00 - $134,976.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Computer Associate to support High Performance Computing (HPC) users half-time on two teams. Half of the assignment is to maintain, automate, and improve software used to support scientists that use Livermore Computing (LC) for world-class, complex computational efforts. You will work on a team to analyze and automate software used to provision user accounts, banks and UNIX groups on LC HPC systems. The other half of the assignment is to provide support for more than 3,500 users as part of the Account Specialist team, ensuring that users have access to required computers, scheduling banks and UNIX groups on LC HPC systems. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division within the Computing Directorate reporting 50% time to the LC Accounts Specialist Team Leader and 50% to the WCI LC manager.
In this role you will
- Support the administration of LC user accounts, OTP tokens, banks, UNIX groups, and shared directories, ensuring efficient and effective use of LC supercomputers.
- Develop scripts to automate the various functions of the LC Customer Services Group (CSG) Accounts Specialist Team.
- Troubleshoot and maintain existing software used by the LC CSG across a mixed environment of Linux, MacOSX, and Windows systems.
- Collaborate on implementation of improvements to existing procedures and tools.
- Frequently work with various WCI scientific and administrative colleagues to fulfill customer needs and elicit requirements. Teams include Desktop Support, HPC support, and WCI support to ensure operation, proper integration, and maintenance of systems.
- Create, review, and maintain technical support documentation for user systems and their environments.
- Provide input and status updates for project tracking.
- Provide excellent customer service and advanced technical assistance to the LC user community by answering call, emails, and service requests.
- Support various programmatic needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth working knowledge of the Linux operating system environment.
- Experience with the development of UNIX scripts written in python and/or Bash in the Linux environment.
- Ability to do analysis and problem diagnosis and resolution with systems comprised of custom and Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) components.
- Experience and skills needed for customer support to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, clear communication, friendly and approachable nature, and courtesy and respect.
- Ability to analyze complex technical issues and develop effective solutions.
- Significant experience performing process analysis to recommend and execute process improvements.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate, negotiate and influence all levels of personnel.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and document, present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with the SLURM resource management software.
- Experience with Service Now, Microsoft Teams, Confluence and Mattermost.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.