Mechanical Test Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $166,992.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $200,328.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Mechanical Test Engineer in the Test Group. You will conduct experimental testing on a variety of projects related to: environmental testing, modal analysis, health monitoring, aging studies, data acquisition, load testing, general instrumentation, and measurement diagnostics. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct tests on mechanical and/or diagnostic systems, analyze results, and author reports, under limited direction.
- Conduct experimental modal analyses and correlate results with dynamic finite element (FE) models.
- Operate test equipment (shaker systems, shock machines, thermal chambers, etc.) using fundamental knowledge of best test and measurement practices.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in formal engineering design reviews.
- Perform supporting engineering calculations for structural, thermal, and diagnostic systems.
- Participate in the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Provide solutions to problems of limited complexity that require the evaluation of readily identifiable factors using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Interface with peers both internal and external to the organization to complete various tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Guide the completion of projects and conduct technical tasks and/or set specific technical strategy and direction for self and/or others.
- Work as a technical expert on a multidisciplinary team and monitor or direct activities of technical staff as lead of a technical project.
- Represent the organization as the primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: vibration and shock measurements, experimental modal and dynamic analysis, general instrumentation (i.e. accelerometers, strain gages, thermo-couples, resistance thermal detectors (RTD’s), capacitance gages, laser vibrometers, pressure sensors, etc.), general data acquisition theory (Nyquist criterion, anti-aliasing, etc.).
- Comprehensive knowledge of experimental modal and dynamic analyses, testing practices, and data processing.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design and fabrication.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Experience using Matlab programming and data analysis including use of digital filters and when to apply them.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team and government regulated environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications, at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of measurement sensors and an understanding of when to use specific sensors for certain applications.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Experience with environment definition and test specification development.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledgeable in the use and operation of laser doppler vibrometry systems.
- Proficient in operating and interpreting data from mechanical load frames.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.