Senior Control Account Manager
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500 - $183,888 Annually for the TSS.3 level
$163,740 - $220,632 Annually for the TSS.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Senior Control Account Manager (CAM). You will be a member of the innovative Advanced Sources and Detection (ASD) Scorpius Project. The ASD project is a multi-year, multi-lab project to design and commission the next generation of radiographic capabilities for use in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the nation’s nuclear stockpile. You will be responsible for maintaining, managing, measuring and reporting on the scope, budget, and schedule performance associated with the control accounts under your control. You will work with the Senior Team Lead and Technical Lead in implementing efficient management and execution operational practices and in developing strategies to address the needs of the project. The selected candidate will be expected to work closely with a partner labs’ Control Account Managers in incorporating, updating and consolidating the P6 schedules. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
Telecommuting options are available for this position.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and maintain project controls system architecture and components, including work processes, tools, and procedures and ensure data integrity and assess project controls data to verify compliance with processes and procedures using judgement within broadly defined policies.
- Conduct technical operational tasks of monitoring earned value performance data, develop and approve complex data analysis, including variance analysis, recovery or corrective action plans, risk vetting, reporting, and estimate at completion analysis.
- Identify and provide solutions to cost trends and schedule impacts, use statistical tools to analyze metrics, and report cost, schedule, risk and earned value information formal meetings such as Management Reviews, Integrated Baseline Reviews, Design Reviews, and Earned Value Surveillance Reviews with in-depth analysis.
- Integrate project activities into total work scope for identification and maintenance of project critical path including performing and maintaining baseline change control management processes and logs.
- With minimal direction, use independent judgement to execute the project control system and implement on-the-job training for project controls processes.
- Perform and oversee complex statistical analysis, schedule monitoring, and computer operations, and coordinate comparisons of historical data, scope, quantities, and cost data between projects to drive toward successful project completion.
- Provide quarterly assessments of ASD activities to EIA-748C requirements and provide details for consideration/implementation.
- Report to project senior management weekly and monthly, contribute to the ASD Project Management Office with monthly cost and schedule performance status reporting to the Federal Project Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Provide subject matter expertise to prepare and present to internal and external organizations on demonstrations of the Earned Value Management System to foster adoption and broaden implementation and use.
- Use highly advanced concepts of Earned Value Management System (EVMS) and EIA-748C requirements as required by DOE O 413.3B and assure ASD LLNL activities are compliant with ASD EVMS requirements (Triad National Security EVMS will be followed).
- Provide recommendations/guidance on improving highly complex Earned Value Management processes.
- Lead and mentor other Control Account Managers and Project Control Specialists.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant technical discipline, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience leading project control functions, including cost estimating, directing, planning, scheduling, development control, and analysis and solving complex problems in innovative and effective ways.
- Advanced level of general project control technical skills and integration of all of the components of an Earned Value Management System, including organizational, planning, accounting, analysis, and revision of process areas.
- Significant experience performing statistical analysis, schedule monitoring, computer architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex financial information to diverse audiences.
- Experience in using project controls operating systems such as Primavera, Cobra, or MS Project, and expert knowledge using Microsoft Office.
- Experience establishing criteria for project controls systems and process, as well as leading implementations of integrated project controls systems and tools.
- Experience independently and successfully clarifying issues, analyzing concerns, and resolving complex problems and implementing sound decisions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Master’s degree in relevant technical discipline.
- Expert level of general project control technical skills and integration of all of the components of an Earned Value Management System, including organizational, planning, accounting, analysis, and revision of process areas.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, external sponsors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders. Ability to lead and mentor others.
- Significant experience interfacing with external customers or industrial partners, especially the Department of Energy (DOE).
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification, Earned Value Professional, and Six Sigma Certifications.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.