Craft and Skilled Trades | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: 805.2 Laborer II
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.43 – $42.17 Hourly
This position is under a Collective Bargaining Agreement and step structure. Step placement will be determined after your qualifications are fully assessed during the interview process.
We have an opening for a Laborer II. You will perform manual labor in the clean-up, maintenance, repair, and construction of streets and grounds surrounding buildings and research structures. You will also perform skilled laborer duties such as cement finishing, operating trucks, tractors, graders, bulldozers, backhoes loaders and other equipment used for hauling, excavating, and road maintenance. You will operate heavy equipment used in maintaining and building roads, fire trails, parking lots, and associated drainage. This position may require work at Site 300 located in Tracy, California.
- Perform skilled labor duties in the construction, maintenance, abatement, clean-up, and repair of buildings, streets, fences, and grounds.
- Perform skilled labor duties in the operation of heavy equipment (Class "B" and "C" type motor vehicles, forklifts, street sweepers, dumpster trucks, etc.) used in building and maintaining of roads, fire trails, parking lots and associated drainage, digging trenches for utilities and excavating for structural foundations.
- Perform cement finishing and setting forms, asphalt work repairs overlays and new construction of roadways, walkways, parking lots and paths.
- Perform pre-inspection and safe use of all plant equipment and tools of the trade. Obtain and maintain training competencies and certifications as needed to perform work.
- Prepare standard reports, permit requirements, deficiency forms and service/work requests. Input time daily and complete training courses using a personal computer and/or mobile devices.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with Environmental, Safety, and Health (ES&H) regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Interact with personnel of all levels such as ES&H technicians, building coordinators, inspectors, and other craft personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Intermediate to advanced skills, knowledge and abilities in skilled labor tasks and experience performing journey level skilled labor duties.
- Experience with the use and operation of heavy equipment used to maintain, repair, install buildings, roads, fire trails, parking lots, associated drainage, digging trenches for utilities, excavating for structure, foundations, hauling earth, gravel, contaminated materials, and moving or lifting heavy objects.
- Experience in cement finishing including setting forms, asphalt work repairs, overlays and new construction of roadways, walkways, parking lots and paths.
- Experience performing routine tasks, such as preparation and cleanup of worksite, loading, unloading, pick-up and delivery of materials in a safe and controlled manner according to prescribed safety policies and procedures.
- Effective customer service, interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with customers, coworkers, and managers at all levels.
- Experience using computers and mobile devices to write reports, complete forms, work orders, training, and timecards.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class B Driver's License within six months of hire and ability to: become medically qualified to wear protective equipment, work in confined spaces, work scheduled and emergency overtime including weekends, and travel to Site 300.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.