Data Protection and Storage Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Data Protection and Storage Administrator. You will provide data protection and storage service administration for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to meet disaster recovery and storage needs. This position is within the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division in the Computing Directorate, supporting the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
Business needs dictate that this position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week. Therefore, telecommuting options will be limited.
In this role you will
- Manage a private cloud backup and enterprise storage environment that spans three NNSA sites to provide data protection and storage services to enterprise collaboration tool suites, databases, applications, servers, and other core infrastructure componentry in support of established service level agreements.
- Administer highly available data protection and storage solutions in support of mission application disaster recovery, COOP, and availability needs.
- Plan and execute systems lifecycle activities for the data protection, and enterprise storage environments such as upgrades, patching, capacity management, and technology augmentation.
- Provide operational support for the data protection and storage solutions in support of customer needs, such as backup & storage configuration, SAN configuration, triage, security issue remediation, system documentation, and service monitoring.
- Develop automation and orchestration solutions (e.g. Shell scripting, Python, Ansible Playbooks) for backup & storage administration and systems management tasks, including lifecycle, ongoing monitoring and maintenance, backup/recovery, and other relevant software/utilities for distributing and enforcing standard configurations, supporting patching, and pushing out new software and configuration changes.
- Plan and coordinate physical hardware racking placement, cabling, triage, and replacement processes with the data center operations and network staff.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of hardware and software and provide guidance to end users for the design of their computing environments and technical areas.
- Implement security and systems administration policy requirements such as vulnerability remediation, and system build requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team members’ skills.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer or Management Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad, multi-year experience in operationally managing enterprise data protection & storage services across sites leveraging enterprise backup solutions (such as Commvault, Rubrik, or other) in support of stringent SLA agreements that stipulate narrow RTO/RPO durations, including managing storage allocations across available storage types, such as EMC or NetApp, and configuring SAN topologies to best meet service needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience performing systems administration in a complex environment, including tasks such as installation, performance tuning, networking, security policy enforcement, troubleshooting, monitoring, backup/archiving, and hardware management.
- Broad experience interacting with computer security remediation efforts to ensure computer security compliance, monitoring systems for general health, monitor service request queue, security incidents, and other events, and developing security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Comprehensive analytical skills necessary to analyze and triage moderately complex systems and storage networks.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to work on a rotational on-call schedule, with a requirement to work onsite multiple days per week.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in the above technical languages, concepts, or constructs.
- Significant experience with security configuration standards, (e.g., CIS, STIGs or the equivalent).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., Commvault, EMC, VMware VCA or VCP-DCV, CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible, AWS).
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience leveraging system monitoring tools to track systems health and alert upon issue.
- Experience leveraging agile project management methodologies.
- Experience executing business continuity and disaster recovery exercises to prove existing high availability and data protections services meet establish SLA requirements.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now