Cloud Automation Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Cloud Automation Engineer. You will collaborate with fellow team members to develop and leverage cloud native technologies in support of programmatic applications and services and will play a key role in helping to define and develop a cutting-edge cloud-native computing platform. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division in the Computing Directorate, supporting the LivIT Program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the architecture of cloud-native computing platforms that meet 24x7 uptime requirements and support efficient and agile software deployment.
- Collaborate with team members in architecting, implementing, automating, and managing new cloud-native applications utilizing tools (i.e., Ansible, Helm, Terraform, or Boto3) in support of moderately complex operational and security requirements.
- Support the transformation of existing application infrastructures to cloud-native services.
- Investigate and participate in the deployment of automated infrastructure and/or application monitoring, alerting, and logging tools to support our DevOps infrastructure.
- Support our agile work execution environment leveraging tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Git to help manage and document our IT infrastructure, applications, and infrastructure as code repositories.
- Support and improve our CI/CD systems leveraged for automated application deployments by designing, implementing, and managing build and release pipelines.
- Implement automation/orchestration tools and custom Python/Shell scripts to help with deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining application environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods in architecting and designing cloud infrastructures and services.
- Leverage subject matter expertise in one or more technical cloud engineering and/or CI/CD engineering areas to support the development of advanced architectures.
- Leverage advanced subject matter expertise in systems programming, automation, and orchestration tooling to automate the creation, configuration, and management of complex systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience architecting and managing cloud and/or container service infrastructure; including implementation, monitoring, operational support, security, and lifecycle management.
- Broad experience with systems programming to create, configure, monitor, and automate the management of web/application/cloud service/container/COTs infrastructures required to maintain the requisite availability and security posture of deployed infrastructures and associated services.
- Experience collaborating with customers, IT managers, developers, database administrators, systems administrators, and security administrators to jointly create web/application/cloud service/container/COTs infrastructures services that meet business requirements.
- Significant experience with UNIX and/or Windows O/S administration, security, and performance tuning required to support enterprise applications and services.
- Significant experience in leveraging automation & orchestration tool suites to manage a large portfolio of enterprise services effectively and efficiently, including O/S administration, configuration management, CI/CD deployment, or security administration.
- Experience in managing application infrastructure technologies such as Java Play, Oracle WebLogic, Apache, Tomcat, IIS, load balancers, API gateways, DockerEE/AWS EKS, or enterprise COTs stacks.
- Proficient communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise peers, management, and/or external customers.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced experience with systems programming to create, configure, monitor, and automate the management of complex web/application/cloud service/container/COTs infrastructures required to maintain the requisite availability and security posture of deployed infrastructures and associated services.
- Advanced ability to partner with customers, IT managers, developers, database administrators, systems administrators, and security administrators to jointly create complex web/application/cloud service/container/COTs infrastructures services that meet business requirements.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Management Information Systems.
- Significant experience leveraging automation and orchestration tooling (i.e., Ansible, Puppet/Chef, or Terraform) to help support infrastructure as code transitions.
- Experience working in a compliance-driven and secure environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now