Response & Support Division Leader
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$176,850 – $238,296 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Response & Support Division Leader in the Emergency Management Department (EMD). You will be responsible for emergency response, support, and Emergency Operations Center (EOC) operations for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). You will ensure the overall operational readiness, training, facility, operational capabilities, preparedness, and response coordination for the Laboratory’s Emergency Operations Center. This position is within the Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) Directorate.
- Provide strategic leadership, guidance, oversight, and management of the Response Support Division.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert and Laboratory spokesperson for EOC related concerns ensuring EOC effectiveness and its functionality and preparation for activations.
- Provide subject matter expertise and solutions for highly technical and complex problems regarding challenges affecting the EOC and its capabilities.
- Develop and manage an annual budget and workplans for EOC and Incident Management Teams (IMTs) or emergency Response Organization (ERO) projects including funding strategies to allow for cost-effective EOC training or projects to be implemented.
- Provide oversight and ensure readiness of IMTs or ERO including call-out procedures and position-specific NIMS-based training. Conduct risk assessments and self-assessments of the EOC and its operations and training.
- Ensure LLNL Emergency Response documents are properly updated and maintain client and NNSA/LFO focus to generate, monitor, and track strategic performance goals, deliverables, and reports.
- Interact and collaborate with all levels of personnel internal and external to the Laboratory, including DOE/NNSA/Livermore Field Office (LFO), auditors, state and local government, and senior management.
- Actively participate and cultivate relationships with external agencies, local fire departments, regional EOCs and other emergency response offices, utilize their ideas and experiences to refine and improve Laboratory’s EOC operations.
- Establish and oversee performance management of division staff, including disciplinary actions, career development, training, annual appraisal, and employee ranking activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an emergency management, fire protection, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Extensive experience and expert technical knowledge on the application of emergency management and operations within a diversified organization.
- Extensive experience analyzing and resolving highly complex problems and developing, planning, and implementing solutions within an emergency management or emergency response organization.
- Knowledge of and experience interpreting and applying federal orders and ensuring compliance with Federal and State regulations related to emergency management and response.
- Experience providing technical leadership, managerial, supervisory, and team-building experience, with demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of professional and non-exempt staff members.
- Experience cultivating and sustaining productive relationships internal and external emergency response entities, stakeholders, state, federal, and local agencies, the community, and public affairs to achieve organizational objectives.
- Experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, managing budgets, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation, interpersonal, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, direct, negotiate, influence, and advise senior management, and to effectively communicate with a wide variety of disciplines and level of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in emergency management, fire protection, or related field Certified Emergency Manager (CEM), Certified Facility Manager (CFM), Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP) or other professional certification from a nationally recognized organization in the field of emergency management, fire protection, engineering, or facilities management.
- Thorough working knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS), California Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS), and Incident Command Systems (ICS) and the completion of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) courses: ICS-100, 200, 700, 800 and G-191.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.