Project Controls Analyst- Mid/Senior, NIF&PS
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: Q01.3 Project Controls Analyst 3 / Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370- $135,192 annually for the Q01.3 level
$125,160- $162,120 annually for the Q01.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Project Controls Analysts. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
You will be responsible for contributing to the development of current and future project controls scheduling guidance, work processes, tools, and procedures to support multiple high-volume specialty projects. This work will be done in collaboration with an existing team that is responsible for resource loading, cost estimates, budgeting, forecasting, variance analysis, corrective action planning. You will utilize Project Management and Earned Value Management methodologies to provide in-depth review, analysis, and reporting of project cost, schedule, and risk throughout the project lifecycle. These positions are in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop, review, advise, and supervise set-up and implementation of the project controls system.
- Understand, provide training, and implement advanced earned value management systems.
- Use project controls software systems such as MS Project, Primavera P6 and reporting tools.
- Prepare analysis, reviews, and documentation of program performance measurement and cost variances according to established process, procedures, and monthly business rhythm.
- Prepare and ensure the accuracy of the program reporting deliverables, including performance data supporting sponsor reporting requirements.
- Prepare graphic presentations and information regarding estimating, cost, schedule, and earned value data for meetings and reporting.
- Coordinate with project team to define activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic, and interface between activities to complete project scopes.
- Implement advanced earned value management systems by independently reviewing and analyzing project schedules for proper sequence, logical relationships, and critical path analysis.
- Present training classes on project controls and on-the-job training for specific training for specific processes and practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the Q01.4 level
- Responsible for integration of all project activities across program milestones to maintain project critical path.
- Develop, supervise, provide training, and interpret requirements and implementation of advanced earned value management systems.
- Ensure integrity of project controls data and compliance with processes and procedures.
- Implement a standardized suite of schedule reports and dashboards that enable program management to make data driven decisions.
- Guide and mentor team in continuous improvement of tools, processes, and procedures.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Systems discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Complete earned value management knowledge and experience in interpretation, execution, and application of project management theories, principles, and techniques for project schedule systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using project controls and project management software systems for scheduling and reporting such as MS Project, Primavera P6 and Deltek Cobra.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive experience in advanced Excel functions.
- Self-motivated problem solver with excellent analytical skills and ability to work independently in an environment where things may not be well defined.
- Experience in independently and successfully clarifying issues, analyzing concerns, and resolving complex problems of an unusual nature; making and implementing sound decisions.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and accuracy while supporting interruptions in a dynamic working environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members, using negotiation skills to influence.
Additional qualifications at the Q01.4 level
- Experience setting up and/or leading project controls scheduling functions.
- Expert level understanding of project controls technical skills and the integration of all the components of an Earned Value Management System.
- Experience performing and overseeing complex statistical analysis, schedule monitoring and data architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex project scheduling information to diverse audiences.
- Expert knowledge of and significant experience using project controls software systems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification/license.
- Familiarity with technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.