Administrative Specialist, NIF&PS
Administrative | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: 405.3 Administrative Specialist III / 405.4 Administrative Specialist IV
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$30.08 - $37.94 Hourly for the 405.3 level
$34.63 - $43.70 Hourly for the 405.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Administrative Specialists. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
Under limited supervision, you will perform a full range of moderately difficult task-oriented administrative assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. This requires flexibility to multi-task as you will encounter frequent interruptions and be tasked with conflicting priorities. These positions are in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Represent management and serve as a resource in daily routine matters; serve as a resource on organizational policies and procedures.
- Gather information from various sources, compile data and prepare complex reports and presentations.
- Independently answer inquiries, make appropriate referrals, follow through on requests; review, prioritize, and disseminate incoming mail.
- Independently schedule appointments and maintain calendars.
- Establish and maintain databases, spreadsheets, and tracking/filing systems.
- Coordinate internal and external campus visits, which may include classified parameters, preparation of agendas, coordinating schedules, coordinating interviews and seminars, foreign national paperwork, badge requests, incoming and outgoing clearance transfers, and other involved information dissemination.
- Coordinate onsite and/or virtual interviews, including correspondence, agendas, compiling, and disseminating interview comment sheets for review by committee.
- Arrange domestic and foreign travel and itineraries and process expense reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 405.4 level
- Coordinate, select, and compile data from multiple sources for complex reports and presentations.
- Generate correspondence on own initiative and compose correspondence for management signature which may be sensitive in nature. Serve as a resource and interpret organizational policies and procedures.
- Manage complex calendars which includes independently determining scheduling priorities.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Administrative knowledge and experience including accurate keyboarding, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills; advanced knowledge of office procedures, techniques, and methods.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow through.
- Experience working under limited supervision, in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse workforce and represent the organization with all levels of management, internal and external to the Laboratory, using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to identify and make recommendations for administrative problems.
- Ability to be self-motivated and flexible, exercising discretion and mature judgment in handling business sensitive and/or classified information, as well as personnel interactions.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience arranging domestic and/or foreign travel.
Additional qualifications at the 405.4 level
- Advanced organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow through.
- Experience organizing conferences, workshops, and large meetings, which may include classified information.
- Advanced computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
Qualifications we desire
- Knowledge of LLNL administrative policies, procedures, techniques, and methods.
- Experience working in a classified environment and handling classified documents.
- Experience working in SmartRecruiters.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now